Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Teh Stoopid, It Is Not Confined to MA...

Warning:
(image courtesy of Robb Allen)

My blogdaughter sent me this story. Please remove all breakable/throwable objects before reading.


PROVIDENCE — Dominic Johnson, a 10-year-old fourth-grader with a fledgling Mohawk, brandished his black, long-nosed toy gun and caressed the muzzle appreciatively.

“It’s like a shotgun mixed with a rifle,’’ he said, as his mother, April, told him to stop pointing it at nearby children.

Soon it would be junk.
Apparently, they crush toy guns and give the kids other toys, presumably of the non-violent variety. This is what I mean when I say we're not winning in the culture war, folks. All the gains in right-to-carry, etc. we've made in the past 20 years will be undone once this current generation gets to adulthood. These are kids that have been fed a steady diet of "GUNZ R BAD" since the day they were born. Zero tolerance so that they get kicked out of school for a squirt gun. School mascots stripped of weapons. Toy guns taken away and crushed in front of them. Proposals aimed at raising the hunting age to 18.

The goal, supposedly, is reducing the number of accidents caused by kids playing with guns. They relate a story of a kid who almost got shot by cops because he pointed an airsoft gun at them. Of course, in today's "blame the tool" age, toy guns become the boogeyman, not the imbecile adults who were supposed to teach their kid that you don't point anything that looks like a gun at another person, especially one who has a gun of their own.

You know what jumped out at me?
  • "The 26-year-old mother of six "
  • "Ardella Powell, 28, who came with her four children, said she wants to see the guns destroyed because it helps her cope with the violent death of the father of her 11-year-old son. The man was gunned down in 2003."
Something tells me that it's not toy guns that are the problem here.

That is all.

10 comments:

wizardpc said...

racist!

Brad_in_IL said...

The 26-year-old mother of six

Jay, that woman must have spent more time on her back than you've spent with a pistol or revolver strapped to your waist.

- Brad

Jennifer said...

And just this morning, I was watching the kiddo while he was in the backyard. He'd found himself a pistol grip stick and was hunting something near the fence. Being conscious of his muzzle direction, I might add.

cybrus said...

ARGH! Started to write a comment about this but it turned into a full-blown post on my site instead.

Wally said...

I am crusading to offset this. I gave a couple of MGs to a 13 year old yesterday.

Jennifer said...

Oh! And we had the pleasure of convincing a set of parents that a Ruger 10/22 would make an excellent Christmas present for their 13 year old. Forget the toy guns. We'll just get them real ones.
*Weebot got his 10/22 when he was 9

Jay G said...

Wally, will you adopt me?

Wally said...

Sure Jay, I'd gladly adopt AND corrupt !

McHale said...

I grew up in a gun free household, and that made me only more interested in firearms so that when I turned 18 I joined the local gun club. But I did have a learning curve when it came to the 4 rules, firearm cleaning, etc. So I doubt this next generation would fear guns more, because people are always interested in what they can't have, but they will probably be more irresponsible with them.

Awelowynt said...

Well, let it be known that there is hope.

I was raised as a kid to chant the GUNS ARE BAD mantra. My mother has video of me shouting it at her prompting.

She tells me she was over-reacting because I'm the first-born, she was young (28), and I bit my PB&J into the shape of a gun and 'shot' her.