Saturday, January 29, 2011

Gotta Brag...

My son's basketball team just won their sixth game out of seven, with the seventh game being a tie. They are currently the only undefeated team in their league. TheBoy had the best game of his career so far, scoring 3 out of the 10 baskets scored for his team. Needless to say, his feet aren't going to touch the ground for the rest of the day. This is a first for him - since he's moved up to "keeping score" league, the teams he's been on have generally lost more games than they've won. Not a knock on him or his coaches, just how things have shaken out.

It's interesting to see your kid finally find their sport, be it basketball, baseball, or (in my case) chess. When they are genuinely excited about practice and game time; when they clamor for more practice time; when you can see that they actually get it, well, that's something magical. It doesn't necessarily have to be a sport, either - some kids excel in band, or in acting, or in so many other afterschool activities - but the feeling is the same. Watching your child do well in something they enjoy is a feeling like no other.

I've never been a big sports guy. I don't go in for watching sports on TV; I never played a sport in high school or college; it's just not my thing. I've tried really hard not to let my apathy get in the way of my kids when they go out for sports - I guess I'm the opposite of the parents who try to relive their glory days through their children. I'm glad that his sport appears to be basketball - I enjoyed playing when I was his age, and am familiar with the positions and rules more so than other sports. Not coincidentally, it's also got a lower chance of serious injury and a pretty low equipment cost - $50 for a pair of sneakers every year really isn't bad...

But damn, I have to admit being one proud dad right now and bragging a little on my boy...

That is all.

6 comments:

Phillip said...

That's awesome. Don't hide the Dad pride, it's a good thing.

Chad said...

Be grateful it isn't hockey, cost wise.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
From a dad that had three boys in just about every sport possible AND forensics (ad lib speeches, poetry reading, etc). Keep them in the sports program BUT dont' expect miracles the first couple of seasons. I always felt I would rather see the kids improve over time instead of gunning for wins.

Not many fathers wanted to hear my advice BUT the kids that improved over time seemed to enjoy their sports better. The ones that had dads living through THE KID; never seemed to be very happy.

Just some well won opinions.

Steve

Devietro said...

TOTALLY COOL, I long for the day that I have kids and get to brag. Your 100% right about kids finding their own groove. When I was young I tried every sport from volleyball to Basketball and was pretty sucktacular at all of them but then I discovered Boy Scouts, that was my thing and I can honestly say that few moments were as proud in my life as getting my Eagle award pinned on me. Looking back it has shaped me in a way that few other things have. Hope your boy continues with whatever drives him and glad to see that your involved.

Old NFO said...

That's great! :-) If he continues or not, he's learning life lessons!

And by not playing, you're not paying for the 'damage' to your body like we are... sigh...

TOTWTYTR said...

And proud you should be!