Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day At the Museum...

With the kids' February vacation drawing to a close, we're taking them to the Museum of Science in Boston for the day. The M0S has been a perennial favorite of the G. family, so much so that we get season's passes every year - we make it in two or three times a year, and the perks that come with the membership, along with the savings, make it quite worthwhile. Even with gas, tolls, and parking it's a relatively inexpensive day in Boston. And it's not terrifically hard to get to, either!

The Museum of Science is a fun trip. There's some stuff that was there when I was a kid, about TheBoy's age, that I remember from school field trips and the occasional trip in with Mom G. Heck, they've still got a mock-up of the Apollo capsule in the Space section and construction vehicles that date to the late 1970s. I can't help but think it's a ploy to appeal to my generation by keeping some of the exhibits we grew up with; of course, that's a pretty good strategy IMHO. Give mom & dad something to check out when they come in with the kids, they might come back...

Every time we've been to the museum, the kids have have a great time. It's big enough that there's always an area that we didn't explore the last time we were in; and since we get there on a quasi-regular basis, it's not a big deal if we don't hit all the exhibits. We'll typically "divide and conquer" - I'll take TheBoy, the Mrs. will take BabyGirl G., and we'll go visit exhibits independently. We'll meet up for shows and lunch and such, and regularly perform kid-swaps, finding that keeping them separated makes everyone happy.

Go check out a museum the next time the kids are bored - it might just surprise you!

That is all.

7 comments:

Ross said...

Say "Hi" to Suzy the T-Rex for me!

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,

I love the MOS. Take TheBoy to the electic show. There's some old tesla-like gear from MIT which basically makes lightning. Neat stuff. Watch also for the live animal shows too. Enjoy.

In about 10 days I'm taking my dad to the Museum of WW2 in Natick. It is a private museum based on a somewhat larger private collection. The owner/operator takes visitors on a by appointment only basis. I'm quite looking forward to the visit. I'll be sure and provide an AAR for you.

- Brad

DaddyBear said...

I love taking our kids to the science museum here in Louisville. If the exhibits are done right, it can spark an interest in science and technology that lasts a long time.

Maureen said...

They just re-habbed the planetarium which I understand is AWESOME. The president of my company is the Chairman of the Board of MOS (though we don't get free passes, of course, part of his job is to make the thing pay for itself, so he prefers paying customers!!!)

Ruth said...

The Boston MoS and Aquarium and the like are major points that I miss having moved away. At some point I'm going to have to drag my husband back if only for a weekend trip to such places!

Michael in CT said...

Here is a link to a pretty interesting museum about knights and armor in Worcester.

http://www.higgins.org/beyond-belief.php

It's probably the best of it's kind in the US

Ritchie said...

I was especially impressed by the cutaway of the Wasp Major-36 cylinders of radial aviatin' goodness.