Friday, February 11, 2011

I Feel Dirty...

Because Stretch sends in this story:

Menino’s Wal-Mart jihad
Will Mayor Tom Menino save Boston’s poorest families from the scourge of  . . . everyday low prices?

Yes, the wolves of Wal-Mart are again at the city’s door. They want to spend millions building a store, hiring construction workers and creating hundreds of permanent jobs. No wonder the mayor hates them.

And it pains me to be on the same side of an issue (hatin' on WalMart) as Boston mayor "Mumbles" Menino...

Read the article, though. It's a pretty scathing (and, IMHO, most likely accurate) assessment of the Boston liberal opposition to WalMart. It has nothing to do with protecting Mom & Pop type stores (like there are any in Boston) or keeping the WalMart behemoth from sending profits to the midwest (that may very well be the dumbest thing Mumbles has ever uttered, and he's said some doozies). It's the sheer unmitigated disdain-slash-loathing the "intellectual" left feels towards "that kind" of person who shops at WalMart.

Funny how the "tolerance" they preach only runs one way, isn't it?

That is all.

7 comments:

Phillip said...

Just because you have a common enemy doesn't mean you agree with him. You hate Wal-Mart for valid reasons of your own.

Don't confuse valid hate for elitist scorn and disdain.

Old NFO said...

Concur with Phillip...

FrankC said...

With some people tolerance can only run one way.
"You must tolerate my opinions. Your opinions are beneath consideration."

Ian Argent said...

I won't shop at Walmart because of bad experiences with their products. Doesn't mean I'm oon the same side as someone who doesn't want a store opened up. Move 'em on in; I'll still go to Target and Ikea.

Jay G said...

Guys, it's a (thinly) veiled poke at Mumbles, honest.

I have no qualms about it.

Ian Argent said...

May I have my leg back, then?

Sabra said...

Man, I remember when I was a kid and Wal-Mart came to town and we could suddenly afford to buy stuff new on a somewhat regular basis! Thank goodness we didn't have any liberals protecting us.

Liberals don't really like poor people, they just like having someone to feel superior to.