Tuesday, February 22, 2011

News of the EEEEEYIKES...

From PISSED:

Record-Crushing 327-Pound 'Dinosaur Fish' Caught

Looking for all the world like the cross between an alligator, a fish and dinosaur, the alligator gar is the largest freshwater fish in America. And with two rows of teeth, the predatory fish is also terrifying.

So you can imagine his surprise when Kenny Williams, from Vicksburgh, Miss., stumbled across what is being called the largest one ever caught on February 14. The tremendous fish measured 8 feet, 5 inches long, weighed 327 pounds, and was 48 inches around, reported WAPT.com.

Tell me this thing isn't the stuff of nightmares:


I now completely understand Robb's open carry fishing events...

That is all.

16 comments:

Bob said...

Jayzus H. Keeeerist!

bluesun said...

Holy crap, get it away from me!

Tim Covington said...

And, some people wonder why I am very careful about where I swim. Any place that sells alligator gar hooks I choose not to swim. You can weld 3 gar hooks into a grappling iron.

JP said...

What caliber for alligator gar?

BobG said...

Looks like something that would bite Godzilla on the ass.

Jay G said...

For something that ugly I'd suggest something in the 20mm range...

SpeakerTweaker said...

Looks like something that would bite Godzilla on the ass.

That's the reason Godzilla left the water in the first place!

Srsly. Fuck every inch of that fish. That's some scary shit.



tweaker

Raptor said...

HOLY CRAP!!!

I won't be going near the water for a long time... at least not without a hand howitzer strapped to my hip.

You know what, this just keeps getting worse. First the giant flesh-eating ostritch-velociraptor things I learned about in Theories on the Origins of Life (which scientists are trying to clone!!!) then the five-foot long crab-shrimp things I saw on WeTheArmed, and now this?!?!?!

Oh hell no! Screw a house and a car! I'm buying a Barrett and stocking up on ammo!

Mike W. said...

Good thing he's got a 10MM glock. Yikes!

Ambulance Driver said...

You laugh, but you can actually shoot gar.

Gar that big often lay atop the water and suck air. I've shot many a 50-60 pound gar while out plinking with my .22.

But if you really want fun, strap on your scuba gear, and shoot a six-footer with a spear gun. They'll take you on quite a ride!

Jay G said...

CAN???

Try WOULD...

bluesun said...

Ooooo! How about we try NOODLING Gar! That sounds pretty redneck!

Ruth said...

holy cow, that lake didn't look THAT big!

Stretch said...

Depth Charges. It's the only way to be sure.

Joe Texan said...

I remember when I was a kid in Highlands, TX seeing one that stretched from one corner of an 8-foot pickup bed to the opposite corner. Them things are big, ugly, mean, and nasty.

Ross said...

OMFG. That guy willingly pulled that monster INTO the boat with him????? Talk about huge brass ones!! He must clank when he walks!