Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Non-Partisan Praise.

Good on you, President Øbama.

Yes, he did: first lady says Obama quit smoking
(Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama has finally kicked his smoking habit, first lady Michelle Obama said on Tuesday.

It has been "almost a year" since the president had a cigarette, his wife told reporters at a White House luncheon to mark the first anniversary of her "Let's Move" childhood health initiative.

Partisan snipes aside, I hope this is true. I hope he has kicked the demon tobacco, and that he stays off it. I quit twice: once after graduating college, which lasted about a year, and once right before my son was born, which has lasted ten years now. It sucks. I still - some ten years later - have cravings from time to time. They're much less frequent now, but I still find myself reaching into my jacket pocket on the ride home every once and a while. Then there's "the dream" - for the non-smokers out there, that's where you have an incredibly vivid dream about starting smoking again.

All knocks against the man for his political views, etc. aside, I hope this sticks. I hope he kicks the habit and maintains a healthy lifestyle from here on in. The first year is the toughest - if he's truly gone an entire year, he should be over the worst of it by now. Word is he's onto the nicotine gum, which is better than smoking but far from ideal - there's also a matter of exactly when Øbama had his last smoke, as official statements contradict the claim of a year...

In any case, here's a big MArooned round of applause and best wishes for this to be a permanent thing.

That is all.

7 comments:

Wraith said...

I'll join you in this. My wife has been smoke-free for a year now, and I've still got a few months to go. And yes, I have "the dream" now and then myself.

Congratulations, Mr. President--keep it up! (Holy crap, that's the last thing I ever thought I'd say to Barack Obama!)

Chad said...

Yep, I've had "the dream". In this instance, politics don't matter, congratulations to him.

Mike W. said...

I hope he quits too. My dad quit shortly after he met my mom* and hasn't had one in 26 years.

She told him she couldn't date a smoker and that was that.

I hope Obama is successful in kicking the habit for good.

libertyman said...

Yes, and he doesn't dye his hair either,

Robert McDonald said...

Whether he smokes or not is his business. If he quit it's because his political advisors told him too. I'd have been more impresses if he'd said, "I'll be needing an ashtray in the oval office, thanks and piss off."

Stretch said...

Dad quit cold turkey years ago.
Mom never did and died of cancer all too soon.
Way to go Mr. President! I hope you get to spoil your grand-children rotten.

We now return to our regularly scheduled partisan politics.

steven m. said...

Yeah, "The Dream..." Twenty + years down the road I still get em'. It a primal thing, the memory of that damn weed is so strong, it's as if I still smoked.

Tobacco is funny stuff, once the hook is set it never really lets go.