Wednesday, February 9, 2011

One Of My Favorites...

Mr. NoPants reviews some .38 Special ammunition.

After .22LR, .38 Special is the most popular round in the G. armory, with six revolvers and one Derringer in that chambering. Eventually I'd like to add a S&W model 52 and perhaps a lever-action rifle to the ranks, as .38 Special is one of those "near perfect" rounds. Heavier bullets, like the 158 grain Armscor .38 Special Robb reviews, don't have a ton of recoil in a larger gun, and lighter bullets, especially those in +P configuration, offer plenty of stopping power. Plus, since it's predominantly a revolver round, it's easier to capture the brass for reloading - and you can shoot even the hottest .38 Special rounds (+P+) in a .357 Magnum revolver with ease.

Go, check out the review - it's good stuff as always.

That is all.

6 comments:

bluesun said...

So, Jay, here's a question:

It seems that people area always saying that 9mm is "too weak" or "the bare minimum" for defensive use, yet when it comes to .38 Special (which as far as I am aware is roughly equivalent or even a little less power than 9mm) people say that it is just fine. Now, granted, "people" are usually biased and push their views as part of a vendetta against all things they don't agree with, but even so, I have to ask: "What do YOU think?"

Jay G said...

Seriously?

I think all handgun cartridges suck. For single shot stopping power, you really need a rifle.

That said, IMHO .380 ACP is as small/low as I'll go in a defensive cartridge. And even that's a major compromise.

9mm is roughly equivalent to .38 Special IMHO. .357 Magnum ~ 10mm ~ .45 ACP = they are a step up, but still vastly inferior to a rifle.

9mm vs. 45? It's really a matter of personal preference IMHO.

13+1 rounds of .45 ACP vs. 17+1 rounds of 9mm? Really, if you need more than 14 rounds of anything, your time is better spent running...

Robert McDonald said...

Jay, have you done any serious write ups on .38s? I'm thinking about picking one up as BUG, and I'd be interested in your opinion and experience with them.

Robert McDonald said...

Oh, and I did read your recent article on pocket .38s. I'm actually more curious about some of the classic flavorings of .38.

Jay G said...

Robert,

That's a downright excellent idea.

I think I'll see about borrowing dad's model 36 and having that side-by-side with the model 38...

Thanks for the idea!

Robert McDonald said...

You're welcome. I'll be looking forward to it.