Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Range Day!

Took a long overdue trip to the range yesterday afternoon. Given the recent global warming snowstorms, access to the range has been intermittent at best (it's a volunteer operation, and folks selfishly insist on clearing their own driveways before the range!). Grabbed all the pistols what need cleanin' plus the 10/22 (had a couple new magazines to break in) and hit the range. It was more crowded than usual (there was another person on the pistol range and three people on the rifle range), but it cleared out pretty quick.

Out of curiosity, I put up one target per firearm, and wound up with this:

Not Horrific

(forgive the lousy cell phone camera shot, it was all I had...)

Notes:
  • Distance is 25 feet
  • Top row: 10/22 on left, 22A on right
  • Middle row: S&W 242ti on left, S&W 34 on right
  • Bottom row: Sig P226, S&W SW1911
  • Each target is 2X capacity per firearm
  • Revolvers were shot double action
  • 10/22, 242, and P226 were fired rapid fire
I also brought some orange clays to break on the 25 yard berm as well as my 4" steel plate for non-paper shooting. The steel plate wound up going back in the truck as the ground was frozen solid and I couldn't get it propped; the clays were fun but gone far too quickly.

Observations:

I had a better time switching between "target" and "defensive" practice than I normally do. I chalk this up to having gone so long between sessions (ahem...) The double action work on the 242 is nice, but I'm still getting used to it - most rounds landed where they were supposed to, which for a 2" barrel DAO revolver isn't too bad... The P226 and the SW1911 continued to function flawlessly, with the P226 surpassing 300 rounds without cleaning (this is a big deal for me) and the Smith working perfectly even with dirty surplus ammo. I am surprised at how much I like that Smith...

The Ruger and the S&W 22A continue to amaze me as to how accurate they are - the Smith was definitely succumbing to grit and grime (fourth outing of 100+ rounds) yet still put 90% of all shots in the center ring. The $35 Leapers UTG red dot sight continues to impress as well, maintaining zero and still capable of directing the Ruger right on target (clays and pieces of clays) at 25 yards. Might be time to think about picking up a second 10/22 to turn into a target rifle... The Ruger also had its first FTE since it was last cleaned - easily 500 rounds prior - so it got a quick scrubbing last night along with the rest - yes, I broke down and cleaned the Sig and the Smith as well...

And lastly, as the wise folks over at Box 'o' Truth are fond of saying, shooting stuff is fun...

That is all.

6 comments:

Lissa said...

Ahhhhh . . . nothing like a good range day to relax the shoulders and lift the spirits. We went on Sunday :)

JP said...

Who did the shooting on the top targets? Pretty good! :D

Bubblehead Les. said...

Well, you look good to go with the Zombie Head Shot drill using a .22LR. Surprised you didn't take the time to do some Full Bore Rifle work, though. Wish I had a decent place to shoot near me in February with my long guns....: (

Jay G said...

Lissa,

Despite nearly freezing my digits off (and falling on my @$$), it was a most excellent trip.

I love that feeling, as I'm pulling out of the gun club. All stress is gone, nice and relaxed.

It lasts about five minutes, but still...

JP,

Heh. That's the difference between .22LR and centerfire. Not only am I not flinching, but I *know* with .22LR I'm target shooting, so I don't try to shoot as fast as possible.

Les,

Last time I went to the club the rifle range was under 3' of snow. It had been cleared out, but I went with the intention of, if the outdoor ranges were still snowed in, being able to shoot on the indoor range...

bogie said...

Keep that OCD under check - that Sig can easily go 1k rounds without cleaning.

Ross said...

So... now that you have the 10/22 (affordable rifle to shoot) when are you dragging it over to Harvard for one of the upcoming Appleseed Shoots, Jay?