Monday, March 28, 2011

Blogmeet?!?!

Just realized something yesterday. We're going to be in DC in three weeks. I know there are a bunch of bloggers, commenters, and lurkers in the NoVA/DC/MD area, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in getting together for dinner/drinks/a little of each? We're staying in MD slightly northeast of DC, so anywhere in the general Beltway area would work for me.

I'll be in the area from late Sunday 4/17 through Saturday 4/23, so any time during that time will work. I'll be doing the tourist thing with the family during the day, so sadly any trips to the range will have to wait for another trip (and yes, I would *love* to go to the NRA range). Monday through Friday nights are possibilities, with the nod for preference given to either Thursday night or Friday night.

I'm not that familiar with the area, having last stayed in/around DC when Ronald Reagan was President, so I'm relying on the locals to pick a good restaurant. It should ideally be able to handle a bunch of rowdy bloggers and commenters, with a special nod given to VA as it's the only one of the three that won't have a screaming panic if attendees are exercising their Second Amendment rights. But I am, above all, flexible on location...

So who's interested in a NoVA/SoMD/DC blogmeet?

That is all.

15 comments:

JB Miller said...

Depends on the day/time but otherwise I hope to attend.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Bethesda, as a nod to NoVa and DC people, Rock Bottom Brewing?

TheAxe said...

Count me in! And Rock Bottom's brown bear ale is really good.

Nancy R. said...

I'm going to do my best to be there. I'd like to see happy hour included for those of us that have to travel up from the hinterlands and return to work the next morning.

Bubblehead Les. said...

DC one weekend, Pittsburgh the next, better review which State will/won't honor your CCW. Don't want you to get screwed just because one State will do reciprocity, while 10 miles down the road the next State will put you behind bars for 3-5 as soon as you cross the Border!

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

"DC one weekend, Pittsburgh the next, better review which State will/won't honor your CCW."

Good point there. I don't see MA permits on the VA State Police website as being recognized. You may want to double check.

OTOH, open carry is perfectly legal in VA* with no licensing, and no residency requirement that I'm aware of. You can simply un-conceal when you cross the state line, and you should be fine.

* with some restrictions that probably won't apply - see Va. Code Sec. 18.2-287.4

Stretch said...

I'm in!
Let me muddy the water with a vote for Hard Times Chili Parlor.
They've several locations around the beltway. The College Park one is probably closest to where you are staying.

http://www.hardtimes.com/location/default.aspx?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

That chili idea is good, too, Stretch. There is one in Bethesda that might be more convenient to VA people, too. Near that brewery I linked to.

Geodkyt said...

The problem with any location in Maryland is that technically, MD doesn't even recognize OPEN carry.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

If JayG is willing to keep his family in a LAUREL Maryland hotel, a quick foray into Bethesda with a bunch of other gunnies, unarmed, should be relatively survivable

Chris said...

What 'Bolt said. I'd love to attend such a gathering, and Bethesda isn't too far from the Baltimore area where I live/work.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to join you but unfortunately I'll be in Germany on business during that timeframe.

Clinton said...

I'm down jay! just bought a dragon leather holster, based on your reccomendations. might even be able to show it off by then. btw, friday nights at rock bottom, 7 dollar draft, refills are 2 bucks, and you get to keep the glass. bonus points cause its a microbrew!

mrmacs said...

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! What about Alexandria VA area, on the south side of DC? Arlington has a Rock Bottom as well as Bethesda. VA carry rules, Rock Bottom beer. Best of Both Worlds.

There's also the National Harbor, but dunno whether they'd freak about a bunch of crazy bloggers, lurkers and stalkers.

I'll admint, I have a a vested interest, it's only 1.5 hours from home, not 2.5 to Bethesda. Damn Southern Maryland.

Veeshir said...

I don't know MD at all, but I'm in, depending on what time and where.

I don't like to drive in the greater DC metropolitan area between 4 and 7pm on weekdays.

Stupid people doing stupid things annoys the crap out of me.