Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I'd Like To Thank the Academy...

...well, I'd like to thank North, for nominating me for a Stylish Blogger Award.


(Side note: I have a style? I suppose, if one counts "frothing at the mouth lunatic" as a style...)

According to North:
The rules of this award are that you then list seven things about yourself that other people might not know. And then pass the award to 15 other bloggers.
Hmmm. Seven things about me that people don't know...

1. I am afraid of dogs. Anything larger than a chihuahua scares the hell out of me. Comes from getting chewed up pretty bad by a German Shepherd when I was five.

2. I skipped second grade in elementary school. One day in first grade the principal came to the door of our classroom, asked for me to step outside, and he brought me to my new classroom. Yeah. Fat, smart, and small was a prescription for getting beat up pretty much every day through junior high school.

3. I have been published in two scientific journals. Both were from work I did as a graduate student. Both articles are completely incomprehensible to me now.

4. I have never owned an automobile made by Ford. I've had Buicks, Cadillacs, GMCs, Dodges, Plymouths, Toyotas, and VWs.

5. I have never been more than one time zone east or west of Eastern.

6. I lost a friend to suicide when we were in the eighth grade. I went into my room and cried under my covers for three days straight. There are still times, when I hear Pink Floyd's
"Wish You Were Here", that I think about Keith...

7. I worked as a bouncer one summer in a dive bar in a seedy ocean town in NH. It's amazing how working a job where you are actively encouraged to visit violence upon those who desperately seek it can actually make you better at avoiding conflict. Being 6' tall, 220 pounds, and working out 1.5 hours a day doesn't hurt either...


Fifteen bloggers to pass this on to... Hmmm...
  • Marko. Anyone who's been ripped off as much as Marko has - and can still crack wise about it - has style to spare.
  • Lissa. OMG she has the market cornered on whip-smart and sassy-cute style. MA's loss is so FLA's gain.
  • Nancy R. Nancy has style. 18th century style. And she can shoot. And has the (second) cutest daughter in the world.
  • Robb. Robb makes me feel grossly inferior - great shooter, loads of artistic talent, and a sense of humor that's sharp enough to shave with. Style. Pantsless style.
  • TOTWTYTR. Even though he plays a crusty ol' EMT on the internet, he's one of the nicest guys I know. Just don't get on his bad side. Especially if he's got his Enfield...
  • T-Bolt. He's every bit as enigmatic in person as he is in blog persona. He's got zombie-killin' style...
  • Phlegmmy. I'm pretty certain that her picture is in the dictionary next to the word "style". Heck, she makes it on shoe style alone!
  • Mike W. Even if he is 15 years old and makes fun of me for being old. He should get the hell off my lawn though. Young style is still style.
  • The Nerds. If cool were people, the Nerds would be someplace really cold. Or someplace with a lot of people. They've got the whole insanely smart style thing down to a SCIENCE!
  • GayCynic. I hear that if you look up "acerbic" in the dictionary, his picture is there. He's got "cut you down to size" style in excess. Deflating egos is his forté.
  • Jennifer. Not only does she bunk with a stylish holster maker, but she coined the term "Dance, monkey, dance" for dealing with Hollyweird. Cut-to-the-chase style.
  • LawDog. If for nothing else than "making me laugh so hard I scare the cat, and I don't even have a cat" style. Three words: Pink. Gorilla. Suit.
  • ASM826. Really smart, pals around with Borepatch, and brooks no guff. He's got the persistent style down to a T.
  • Kevin Bacon. Kevin's so smart, he could kill you with his brain alone. Except that he's really nice, too, except for that whole Avatar thing... ;)
  • Breda. Librarians have style. Gunnies have style. Breda has crazy gunnie librarian style. And she totally rocks a Saiga shotgun.


I'm still trying to figure out how or why I have style...

That is all.

10 comments:

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Incandescent rage is a style. Of sorts.

Dave H said...

if one counts "frothing at the mouth lunatic" as a style...

Right now Charlie Sheen seems to be making a good living with it. (grin)

chiefjaybob said...

It's the 'stache. You have teh mega mustache style.

That is all.

Gay_Cynic said...

Why, thank you, kind sir!

Mike W. said...

If I have the style of a 15 year old boy then perhaps I should stay away from priests.......

SpeakerTweaker said...

chiefjaybob is half way there. The stache is epic, no doubt, but would be nothing without Teh Shiny on top. Teh Shiny + Epic Stache = Style. Any day of the week (and twice on Sunday).



tweaker

tasteless w/v joke: autistab Jenny McCarthy's kid found the knife drawer. You do the math.

ASM826 said...

I tried it. Here's my my effort. http://randomactsofpatriotism.blogspot.com/2011/03/from-marooned-meme.html

Mike W. said...

http://anothergunblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/7-things.html

Done, and overly wordy as usual.

North said...

I didn't say you has STYLE. I said you had a STYLE AWARD.

:-D

Yeah. I don't have style, either.

Julie said...

Maybe the 'style award' was to give you something to aim for?

Seriously, I do think you have style - a very nice RAGE style :)