Friday, March 11, 2011

Yeah, People Really Are that Stupid/Rude/Etc.

At least something like this helps you realize you're not the only sane person in a world of whackos...

25 shocking parenting comments
It's an inevitable part of parenting: At some point, another person, whether it's a relative, friend, colleague, or complete stranger, will make a judgmental, rude, or thoughtless remark about your parenting skills.

Yeah, go take a read. Some are heartbreaking; some will make you laugh; others will make you angry (especially if you've been in a similar spot). I think this one was my favorite:
A woman I know was approached at a social gathering by another woman who was upset upon seeing this woman's daughter, who was obviously of Asian descent. She scolded the woman for adopting a Chinese baby when so many American children are waiting to be adopted. The woman was speechless. Her husband is Asian. The baby was not adopted.

Sadly, that someone could that utterly tactless and clueless does not surprise me...

That is all.

6 comments:

Maura said...

Remarks like that just confirms my opinion that other people are generally turds.

Broken Andy said...

The one about the baby dying is horrible. But it seems in a lot of those the poster just needs to lighten up.

Old NFO said...

People are generally tactless, especially when they are 'sure' there will be no real come back on them... I still think dueling should be brought back as an option.

Dave H said...

A widows' & widowers' forum I used to inhabit had a running collection of thoughtless remarks people had made. The people that said them were roughly divided into two types: the clueless (which we called DGIs, for "don't get it") and the "have to be right no matter who it hurts."

The clueless I can take, but the others I avoid because I don't want to be in the blast radius when their karma catches up to them.

Borepatch said...

I remember a card on Postsecret that read:

Sometimes I wish your child was dead, too. Then you'd know how I feel.

Some things are best not said, or whispered down the well.

And Dave H wins the Internets about Karma blast.

Sabra said...

I've found that a lot of the sting of someone else's comment varies based on your own attitude. My four kids put me in the large family category these days (which I think is ridiculous). The most common comment? "Wow, your hands are full!" Now, is this a positive comment or a negative one? It all depends on how you take it.