Monday, April 25, 2011

NoVa/DC/SoMD BlogMeet AAR...

Considering that the NoVa/DC/SoMD BlogMeet was Friday night, this AAR is long overdue. Given that we spent Saturday morning in DC - we took the White House tour, I strongly recommend it even despite the long lines (which moved quickly I'll grant) and security check - and didn't leave until 1:30 PM (getting home nearly 11 hours later, thank you traffic from hell), and that yesterday was Easter, this is the best I got... (and yes, superlong runon sentences are gratis...)

First off, mad props to Newbius for throwing this all together. We chatted back and forth about the where and when, but he's the one that made the calls to get a room secured, and also managed to finagle our special guest star...

Attendees:
Newbius and his lovely bride
My one and only blogdaughter and Geodkyt (aka Shorter Half)
commenter SID
Turk Turon - which was especially ironic since I took the Cup of Turonistan this time...
commenter and purveyor of blogfodder extraordinaire Stretch, who lives up to his name in spades (he's even taller than Nancy R., who as Unc will tell you is 7 feet tall...)
commenter theAxe
commenter Chris
Nikki and Rob

Several folks were kind enough to bring me birthday presents, knowing that I had just turned the big 4-0 the day before the meet:



The d'k tahg and the patchouli ("It's hippie bait!") were from my wonderful blog daughter, and the ammo was from Stretch - I think he's trying to get me to buy a 1903 Springfield... There's one more present that will be discussed in a separate post later today - trust me when I say it's worth a post all on its own.

The meet was - as all blogmeets are when gunnies are involved - wonderful as usual. Everyone was animated, interested and interesting, and happy to talk about subjects ranging from the McDonald case (hello, did you see Alan Gura was in the house???) to the MI library case to the perfect weapon for the Zombocalypse (hello, did you see T-bolt was in the house???). Again, my only singular regret is that I didn't have more time to talk to everyone.

And I suppose I should mention that the only reason I beat Newbius in 9-ball was because he let me... ;)

That is all.

10 comments:

libertyman said...

Wow!!! Alan Gura! You must have had a great night! I wish I were able to have been there.

Next time!

Newbius said...

It's true...

St. Grendel said...

Whoa, I gotta figure out where he got that d'k tahg! That is way too cool!

Jeremy said...

Jay, did you get any info from Alan Gura on the Hightower v. Boston case? Probably the single most important case in MA for gunowners at the moment.

Stretch said...

An '03A3 perfectly acceptable. Besides, a rear peep sight is better for those "over 40" eyes.
A M1917 might be easier to find and also has a rear peep.

Blogdaughter: Where did you get the Patchouli? That's the same brand my store carries.

With Alan Gura in attendance we should offer up a new Passover prayer when eating in Maryland: "Next year, when we feast bearing arms."

Nancy R. said...

Stretch,

The Hippie Bait was picked up at a reenactment from a vendor. I couldn't tell you who it was, but maybe Michael can ...

Maura said...

I would have liked to attend, but I thought I'm way to new to the gun community to have anything relevant to add...but I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself! Happy Birthday!

zeeke42 said...

Happy Birthday. So jealous you got to meet Alan Gura.

libertyman said...

Jay -- check the spelling of Nicki. You have it as Nikki. If you look at her site, I think you will agree, I would not want to have her mad at me.
And Maura, you would have had a lot to contribute just by being new to the scene. You will find the most interesting,fascinating and helpful bunch of folks who have a common interest in firearms at these get-togethers.

TheAxe said...

Maura, you should have come, your presence would have contributed. As Jay said it was a lot of awesome in a small space :)