Tuesday, April 12, 2011

NoVa/DC/SoMD BlogMeet Update...

I mentioned getting together for a meet while I was down visiting DC a while back. Well, I'm leaving for DC in less than a week, and I figure it's less than a week and a half until the blogmeet. In other words, it's time to s**t or get off the pot, people!

I figure Friday, April 22nd would offer the best time for a meet - fewer folks will have to get up for work in the morning, so we won't have to end at 9:30 (unless that's your thing). 7 PM sounds like a good time to kick things off - gives folks a little time to get home from work, freshen up, and head out, etc.

Suggested venues are:

Rock Bottom Brewing
Hard Times Chili Parlor

I'll be in Laurel (as T-Bolt has pointed out numerous time), so my first preference would be somewhere relatively close - there's a Hard Times in College Park, frex. I'm wide open to other venues and locations, although anything too far away I'll need to ask someone for a ride - I don't mind leaving the family in a hotel if I'm 20 minutes away; an hour and a half I'm not too comfortable with. Call me old-fashioned...

Folks who have expressed interest in attending:

MBtGE
TheAxe
Nancy R.
Stretch
Chris
Clinton
Veeshir
Newbius

I'm open to any and all suggestions, but we have to make a decision quick - let's say by Friday. That gives folks a week to make arrangements to get to the meet and such, and it also gives me time to plan before I leave. I'm not averse to any specific location/state/restaurant; I would prefer to stay close by since I've got a 9+ hour drive home the next day; other than that it's all good.

So, which establishment will we be terrorizing frequenting?

That is all.

12 comments:

JB Miller said...

I'll be there. Just say where.

Nancy R. said...

Either one is 2 hours away, so it doesn't matter to me.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

7 PM on a Friday? Might as well meet on a parkbench outside your hotel. It's the only place where people could get parking and a seat.

Traffic to Bethesday or College Park from Laurel between 3PM-6PM is brutal on a Friday, not too shabby on a Thursday. I'd guess 30 minutes to Bethesday, 20 to College Park, on a Thursday. Double the times for a Friday, maybe? It's my commuter route.

For people coming from Virginia, If they get off at Olde Georgetown road to get to Bethesda you just saved them 3 miles of bumper to bumper traffic compared to College Park.

Veeshir said...

Either one is okay for me but maybe 8 would be better.
It takes me 25 minutes to get to the highway at 6, it takes me 5 minutes at 7. No lie. I try not to go anywhere after 3 and before 7.

If I have to cross the Woodrow Wilson bridge into MD, well, that's another extra 20 minutes to go one mile at 6.
Either way, I won't be there at 7, I'll see you at 8. It's the difference between RAGE!!!!! and a relatively pleasant drive in my fine convertible.

Geodkyt said...

Luckily for Nancy R. and myself, shooting acorss the Potomac on 301 means we are running against traffic for the most part, until we get to the DC beltway.

Stretch said...

Friday rush. All we need is rain and a motorcade to make it perfect.
Jay, make it easy on yourself and chose the one closest to your hotel. Leave it to the natives to figure the best way there.
Newbius and T-bolt: let me know if you want to car pool. I'll be coming from Herndon.

Chris said...

I will agree with T-bolt about the Friday traffic, so your easier choice would probably be the Hard Times in College Park. But Route 1 on a Friday is more stop than go, so be mentally prepared. I'm coming from Baltimore, so 7 is probably OK for me. And yes, parking will be a problem. If anyone is coming in from the north, I'd be happy to offer a ride. That would apply to you, too, Jay. (Totally unrelated aside: the word verification below is "fakers" - hopefully not any kind of omen.)

Turk Turon said...

I'm in! Just say where and when. I have Fridays off.

TheAxe said...

Chris where in baltimore are you coming from? I might take you up on that.

Chris said...

TheAxe,
I live in Catonsville, office is in Hanover. (Depends on how late I need to work as to where I will depart from.) You?

TheAxe said...

I live in Timonium but work in Woodlawn at SSA so Catonsville is pretty close. I can be off work by 3 if that helps.

Chris said...

TheAxe,
I work in sales, so what time I leave work is, ahem, somewhat unknowable. Today I finally left the office at six, last week it was more like four-thirty. Contact me directly at igli1969 at the Google email place. If plans go well, you can drive to my house, park there, and we'll tool on down the road.