Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Anti-Robb

Before the NRA Convention, I was approached by a representative of Woolrich about their new Elite Series Tactical line of clothing. Woolrich is diving headlong into the world of "tactical" clothing, with a line of pants, shirts, vests, outerwear, and accessories all designed with the rigors of modern gear and how it is carried in mind. Woolrich was looking for some folks to model the clothing and give their impressions, and I received a pair of their Elite pants for testing both at the convention and afterwards:
I spent the first full day of the convention in these pants, and I've got to hand it to Woolrich. They've designed a pair of pants that will carry all my gear, fit wonderfully, and look perfectly at home in a business casual environment. They've put a great deal of thought into this line - the flap-covered side pockets are just the right size for a smart phone or spare magazine; there are two sets of back pockets, a traditional wallet pocket as well as a deeper pocket for gear; the front pockets are wide and have plenty of room for a small automatic or J-frame in a pocket holster.

The only "criticism" I have - and it's a stretch at best - is that these look like "tactical" pants. Of course, this is their Elite Tactical Series, so that is of course by design - one doesn't buy a Ferrari for the ability to haul 4X8' sheets of plywood, after all. I've had the opportunity to wear these pants a couple of times, both at the convention - where the "tactical" aspect was a definite plus - and around town running errands at home. They certainly don't stick out any more than cargo pants; at least, not from my perspective. If you're in the market for a good-looking, durable pair of tactical-style pants, these definitely fit the bill.

And look - you can even "like" them on Facebook!

That is all.

13 comments:

Old NFO said...

Ah... I was wondering who made those. They aren't quite as obvious as 5.11s But I wonder how they will wear over the long term.

North said...

And here I just ordered 4 pair of 5.11 shorts...

Robert McDonald said...

I've been thinking about picking up some of these. Going to have to give them a spin.

The Duck said...

Still a fan of Tru-Spec 24/7

Butch Cassidy said...

How many belt loops?

Jay G said...

7 (I'm wearing them today)...

Teke said...

For Business casual The knee reinforcement may be a bit much.

Also why is it that all Tacticool pants cave the curved rear pocket? I think that is a fairly dead giveaway. It's kind of like a shoot me first vest on you backside. The pair I have with it is a little difficult to get my wallet out.

bluesun said...

I need one more inch on those inseams before I think about buying anything...

John Richardson said...

I have a few pairs of their old model Covert Tactical Pants. They look like the ones you have minus the cargo pockets and mag pouch. I absolutely love these pants. They are comfortable and just as tough as my 5.11's. The best part is they don't have the stupid strap on the right rear to catch on things.

I understand the "new" Covert Tactical pants don't have the curved back pockets and look more like Dockers. I may have to try a pair.

If you don't care, you might still find the old model at closeout prices.

North said...

"The best part is they don't have the stupid strap on the right rear to catch on things."

Yes. So what is the purpose of the strap on the 5.11?

ParatrooperJJ said...

To hang climbing equipment on. They were originally rock climbing pants.

North said...

Thanks JJ. I knew the origin of the pants - didn't think about the strap as a carry-over from that time.

RevGreg said...

Just picked up several pair of these from Botach tactical on clearance for $15 a pair (also bought some Eotac pants at the same price) and have to say I *really* like the layout of the pockets, the fit, and the quality of the Woolrich Elite Tactical pants. The Eotac pants are fine but suffer a bit from "featuritis" (too many doodads and straps) whereas the Woolrich pants are dead simple and yet nothing seems to be missing.

Love 'em!