Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Marketing: UR Doin' It Rong...

*facepalm*

Oh NRA No! Do you *not* listen to the internets? One of the displays they had up highlighted a new product for sportsmen. It's a duck decoy that folds flat for easy transport. It's an ingenious idea, and the decoys looked great. It's the name that needs some work:

Elmer?

Yes. They call it the NRA FUD. Guys, guys, guys. This is a Fudd:

Different Fudd

The term "Fudd" is often used to describe those that favor only certain types of gun rights - i.e., those that allow shotguns and scoped bolt action rifles. Common phrases of the Fudd are "No one needs an X round magazine" (where X = some number greater than 3) or "You can't hunt with an AR-15" or "No one needs a handgun, those are only made for killing". Basically, they support the gun rights that they enjoy and condemn the rest.

Just thought it was an interesting juxtaposition...

That is all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't FUD an old microsoft marketing principle? Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

Dave said...

I was thinking that too, anon -- almost like they grabbed nrafud.com and then came up with a product to justify it :). They certainly have the SEO down pat; if you were looking to find web sites where people accused the NRA of using FUD tactics, you'd have trouble finding any articles.

For what it's worth, it isn't a new product or site, been out a few years according to my incredibly detailed 5 second research.

(The fact that it's a product for hunters, that there's the notion of Fudds in gun culture, that there's even a fudstore, just makes me chuckle in about 4 different ways....)

John Richardson said...

I just rolled my eyes when I saw that display. Wish I had taken a picture of it.

Mike W. said...

Oh god, I thought those were a joke when I saw them....

Ian Argent said...

FUD as a marketing term of art predates Microsoft; goes back at least to the big iron era of the Itty-Bitty Machines

DaddyBear said...

I saw that on the first day. I just had to shake my head. Alex, I'll take "Tone Deaf" for 1000, please.

Geodkyt said...

When i saw it, I figured a GOA mole within NRA staff was having a joke at the expense of the Fudds.