Tuesday, May 3, 2011

No Guns Allowed...

Had something interesting happen in Pittsburgh. Friday night we were kind enough to be invited to the Tilted Kilt courtesy of the good folks from Crimson Trace for "happy hour" and dinner. A rather large group of Crimson Trace folks - including Top Shot winner Iain Harrison (who licked my head!), competitive shooters, and gunbloggers found themselves arriving for dinner at the Kilt for a fun evening of 2A-related banter.

Well, several members of the delegation were exercising their second amendment rights as permitted by PA law and were open carrying. They were asked to relinquish their firearms upon entry, where they would be stored in a safe on premises, or to remove said firearms and leave them in their cars. Since we had the tactical minivan, we weren't about to leave our guns in our car. Fortunately, good friend and brother-from-another-mother Heath came to our rescue and offered the trunk of his Hemi-powered Charger:

Guess who had the only wheelgun?

The food was acceptable, the service was subpar. Apparently the Tilted Kilt is some sort of Irish-themed Hooters, as the waitresses had tiny outfits and micro-kilts on. I would have traded the scantily-clad bimbos for competent eunuchs in a heartbeat. Orders were slow in coming, entrees were given to the wrong people, and by the end of the evening it seemed as though they had given up. Fortunately, the company was excellent and a great time was had by all.

Well, not all - at one point in the evening a cranky older man came over and admonished me for taking pictures, claiming that my flash was ruining his dinner. Refraining from asking if he was eating food from another restaurant, I politely stowed my camera and took no more pictures. Shortly thereafter, he apparently didn't like that our group was having fun, so he approached us again and scolded us for disturbing his "quiet dinner". Now, mind you, this is in a sports bar with waitresses dressed in skimpy outfits where the noise level exceeded 100 decibels (nerd boy supreme Alan has a sound meter on his iPhone). He left shortly thereafter, no doubt to go home and yell at the neighborhood kids to get off his lawn.

A *HUGE* thank you to the good folks at Crimson Trace for putting this on for us!

That is all.

14 comments:

Tim Covington said...

"He left shortly thereafter, no doubt to go home and yell at the neighborhood kids to get off his lawn."

Hey! I yell at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn. But, I would not expect a quite dining experience at a sports bar. This guy probably went home and yelled at the TV for not having Johnny Carson on it anymore.

Angus McThag said...

The local Impala club I am a member of has gone to the local Tilted Kilt for our club meeting a few times.

They simply cannot do large groups. It's a problem with their chain.

I've gone there with just a friend or two and both the service and food were markedly better than when we passed the "mandatory gratuity" threshold.

This seems to be a common theme with chain places. If the group gets above a certain size they force you to tip a given amount by putting it on the bill. The server now knows how much they are getting for a tip once you've ordered and will be getting that regardless of how bad their performance gets.

Since it's a policy of the restaurant, be sure to tell the manager that you're not participating in the game and will generously tip for excellent service on a merit basis or your large party will find another, more amenable, eatery. We've yet to find a manager who will give up ten seats of income so that a server JUST gets 15%.

Weer'd Beard said...

Jay ate my Spicy Chicken wrap! That's OK, Jay's Chicken Club was plenty yummy, and the company was more than adequate!

Of course they didn't disarm ALL of us *wink* but that still doesn't make it right or smart.

Bubblehead Les. said...

I'd like to thank Cold Steel for allowing me to carry concealed within the confines of the Tilted Kilt a Self Defense/Mobilty Aid tool for my bad knees that was in plain view of the Restaurants Security Staff. Walked it right past them several times as I went in and out to smoke, they never said a word about my Sword Cane. There's ALWAYS a way to maintain one's Defensive Posture. But you should have seen the look on Caleb's face when he was told to disarm. But something told Dave (THOT Police) and myself to leave our pistols in his car before we even left the parking lot. Probably it was due to the fact that we aren't allowed to carry in bars in Ohio, and it was just normal for us.

What was the DB rating Alan got in the place again?

Must admit, when I saw all those Top Shot contestants there including BOTH Winners, Ian and Chris, my Squee Meter busted.

I also ate someone else's sammich. Hope they enjoyed mine. But you should have heard Heath's better half Amanda criticizing the staff. As a Former Waitress, she seemed ready to jump in a couple of time to take charge and straighten the mess out.

Missed the old Man confrontation, but hey, when the Geezer can't stand the heat.....

Oh, well, I had a good time in spite of the Tilted Kilt.

breda said...

SCOTTISH Hooters, thankyouverymuch. There's a difference.

Weer'd Beard said...

Breda are the staff even aware of the difference?

JP said...

Why is that 1911 missing it's slide in the picture?

ZerCool said...

Yeah, disarming was VERY high on my "make Z cranky" list.

Breda, since this was scottish hooters, can you show us Irish hooters? *runs for hard cover*

Jay G said...

*backs REALLY far away from the mighty librarian*...

Matthew said...

If it's like Hooters part of the waitressing is shmoozing individual guys to get tips even if it slows down the service.

Large coed parties interrupt that system and probably leave the waitresses a bit adrift if they don't have other experience.

But I'll devil's advocate for anyone, particularly the attractive and scantily dressed.

Bob H said...

I will say that I fume when a quiet dinner at a (quiet) nice restaurant is buggered by some group who will take a couple of hundred pictures of "Uncle Ned" with everyone there in every possible combination of people. I've been known to... let's call it... snark, at them. But in a loud busy restaurant? That is ridiculous.
I don't yell at the kids on my lawn. But I do wish for dog waste activated mines.

Newbius said...

I took an extra photo of the cranky guy just out of spite. It was pretty funny to see him up in Iain Harrison's face about our group. I wanted to pay the manager to change the channel from the NFL Draft to the Royal Wedding re-cap...

The not-so-funny thing was, ZerCool and I arrived together, and while they looked at me, they did not notice my XDm-45 CC'd under my t-shirt. Les wasn't the only armed patron that night. I fully support OC, but sometimes CC rules the night.

AMCIT said...

I'm disappointed your group continued to spend money patronizing a restaurant that so blatantly disregards your right. As their private property rights are equally important, I'm disappointed your group didn't find another restaurant.

Instead, you rewarded someone who stifled your rights in favor of his.

Jay G said...

We were already committed; the venue had been chosen for us and we were guests of Crimson Trace.

There was a discussion of skipping the event, and we opted to go forth with the evening out of respect for our generous hosts.

Plus we had a hungry librarian with us, and none of us was about to suggest a longer wait to her... ;)