Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Interesting Opportunity

I was recently contacted by Guns & Ammo about a new blog they're launching to promote Son of Guns. They're getting it started with an interesting idea:

Each week we'll be doing a question and answer section with Will himself.

I'd like to give you all a chance to ask a question or two...or ten, to be included in a blog post next week. This is no holds barred. Anything you want to know about the show, shop or his general attitude. Just remember....Will Hayden never minces words.
Now, I've only seen snippets of the show, but it looks to be the firearms equivalent of Monster Garage with Jesse James or Orange County Choppers. They get a particular challenge or deadline, they meet the challenge or deadline despite (or maybe because of) various and sundry "personal" interactions. Hey, we all like the drama, right?

I've come up with a handful of questions:


  • Do you think that your work on television helps or hurts your interactions with the various government agencies (*cough*BATFE*cough) that you have to deal with on the legal end?

  • You don't have VEPR .308 mags by any chance?

  • You wouldn't be looking for a custom leather holster for your RJF 1911, would you?

  • Assuming all paperwork were handled properly, could you make Abomination?

  • How long would it take to make the chainsaw bayonet?
What other question(s) would you like to hear Will answer?

That is all.

8 comments:

Ross said...

Why does every freakin' customer who walks in the door want something RTF NOW??? Or at least by Saturday? Don't they have any customers who DON'T require instant gratification (you know... ADULTS?)?

Teke said...

The few times I've watched the show I've seen some things that would make the guys fit the stereotypical gun nut from the anti's view. A few unsafe things as well.
When you see the footage from the show do you cringe at times at how the producers are portraying you and your staff?

I love watching full auto stuff. It's fun. I think it's a main part of why the show lasts. Semi-auto wouldn't have as much appeal. Do you think that the unwashed masses are lead to believe that John Doe can walk in, order a full auto, and walk out that day with it?

I think what he builds is fun. I'm sure his shop is a safe place and I know guys cut up at work. And yes producers love to keep drama. Is all of this on camera helping make us look better or worse?

Justin Buist said...

I watch the show. If I'm going to plonk down on the couch for some mindless entertainment it might as well be gun related.

Right now I've only got one questions: Will, did you seriously tell your gunsmith to just cut the chamber so that a round of .308 would fit in there for the 1,000 yard AK project? For the love of God tell me that was some funky editing and you had more of a method to your madness than that.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Well, considering that he seems to have a Conex full of Saiga 12 gauges, making up an "Abomination" clone should be pretty easy.

Dragon said...

I've watched it...very entertaining.

Question that I would pose...

"As FFL's, had you been one of the dealers on our Southern Border, would you have stood firm on principal and denied the sales anyway to the obvious straw buyers, or would you really have trusted BATFE to have your back and not hang you out to swing in the breeze?"

the band-aid bandit said...

Even though I probably know the answer, will you ship to MA?

(Though even if he would, I doubt the Supreme Leader would "approve")

Bob H said...

They did at least one "fail." Man wanted a quad full auto .50. Will talked him down to a quad mounted MG-42 on cost grounds. He needed it by the weekend because he was going out of town for a while after that.
They couldn't get it done on time. They only had two of the MG-42s of the four operating.

It was nice to see they could fail.

mdev said...

Ok I love the show so feel qualified here. The thing that man does with a saiga is awesome. My question would be he seems to avoid addressing what a pita thr nfa process is. He made one comment in the episode with thr knife launcher where he basically said do this with a spring and go to jail do ot with gunpowder you have an aow and are ok.

I feel like he has a platform to help spur nfa reform.