Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pre-Friday Gun Pr0n

Reader Jim was kind enough to send in a review of his new (to him) PA-63. I'll let him tell you about it...

If you're like me, you'll find that two toned automatics are sexy. Which, of course, is why I'm drawn to the FEG (Fegyver És Gépgyár) PA-63.

My first impression was that it looked good, was small, handled great, was relatively light (due to the aluminum frame), but had a double action trigger that made me feel like a weakling. It registers in the mid to high 20 pound range. The single action trigger has a little take up, but is a pretty crisp 6-ish pounds.

The sights are small, military style, and drift adjustable. I have since painted the front sight bright orange to help with acquisition.

Disassembly is made easy with a downward pull on the trigger guard and a back and up motion of the slide.

On a note: unless there is a problem, disassembling the pistol is highly discouraged. The little pieces are under pressure and very hard to find when they come rocketing out of there.

For those who do not heed my warning, replacement parts are really hard to find. Luckily, Kassar PMK firing pin and springs are 100% interchangable.

Range Time:

Shooting this gun is a pleasure. Recoil is very manageable allowing for quick follow up shots. I had noticed that my slide would lock back at random intervals. After looking at schematics online, I found that my gun was missing the spring that kept the slide lock in check. A quick job with a needle nosed plier and a piece of a paper clip and I was back in business. about 150 rounds later, it still works without a hitch.

Super high tech repair job. I have since replaced the the paper clip with the real thing.

This brings me to an important point. The blowback operation makes the action ridiculously simple. In my book, simple usually means less likely to break.

The pistol can be fired in either single or double action.

This is two five rounds sets. The fliers at 12 and 7:30 are from the double action pull. Being able to hit soup cans at 10 yards consistently is nice for plinking, definitely within Minute of Bad Guy.

For carry, I picked up some Hornady XTP loads. XTPs aren't my favorite for carry, but I could not find any Speer Gold Dots in 9mm Mak. After using my wet pack set up, I shot with both XTP and FMJ ammo. The XTP penetrated about 8-10 inches in all three tests with reasonable expansion to .585" The FMJ rounds penetrated all the way through my 18" wet pack and broke the cinder block behind.

XTP, FMJ, and FMJ after hitting the cinder block.

Overall, I find this firearm aesthetically pleasing, simple to operate, easy to conceal, and cheap to purchase and feed.

Comparison of other carry guns: Keltec P3AT, Glock 23, Rock Island 1911


Thanks for the review, Jim - looks like you got a winner there!

That is all.

6 comments:

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,
Did you get the pic I sent early this morning?

- Brad

Wally said...

Great post. I have always wanted a FEG but never owned one- this post is a nudge towards getting one.

FrankC said...

Question from a non gunny. Do you have to disassemble the gun to clean it?
A cloud of flying "pingf**kits" would be a real downer.

Stithjim said...

Disassembled is not required to clean the pistol, but it does require an empty mag to lock the slide back.
When you pull the trigger guard down, you can pull back, lift, and move the slide forward to remove it. Then you have the slide, recoil spring, and frame with attached barrel. This is the field strip. Going beyond that, however, is not recommended.

Anonymous said...

We have one also.
It is a good little shooter. Concealable and there is ammo availble. Easy to break down and clean.
My son, whom bought it. His cash, my CCW. Enjoys shooting it.
Is a like in our armory.

TOTWTYTR said...

Nice, but not C&R and thus not available in the PRM.

As a friend of mine said the other day, "I hate when the disassembly instructions tell you to put the gun in a plastic bag so that parts don't fly all over the place."

Ain't that the truth.