Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Coach G.

I am a glutton for punishment. There's no other explanation. Monday night I brought TheBoy to his school at 7:00 PM so that we could sign him up for intramural basketball. This is the third phase of his basketball career, the fifth and sixth grade level. They have a purely instructional league for first and second grade; an intermediate league for third and fourth grade, and now, for TheBoy, the big league.

He's tall for his age - 95% as of his yearly checkup earlier this year - and at the bus stop there are two sixth grade boys, both of which are shorter than TheBoy. He's been working diligently on his dribbling and shooting, spending his "chillaxing" time after school out in the driveway shooting baskets. Kinda like I did when I was a kid. He likes basketball best of all because he's pretty good at it - being tall allows him to grab the ball first; practicing a lot gets the ball through the net.

And now I'll be coaching him.

Yep. I checked off the box that said "Would you be interested in coaching?" I made it very clear that I was only interested in being an assistant coach - it has been nearly 30 years since I played in any organized form, and the rules and drills are a hazy memory. I might offer to coach next year, but for this season I want to help out only, not be the guy in charge. I haven't offered to coach any of his sports until now mainly because of Cub Scouts, but where this is my last year as Cubmaster, I'm in a position to take on new roles.

I'm both excited and scared as hell.

My dad coached my last year in intramural basketball. We had the worst record in the whole league - I think we won one game because the other team had the wrong time and didn't show up - but every kid played his allotted time. Dad rotated everyone fairly and didn't give in to the temptation to play his best players heavily or put his own kid in more - he made sure everyone got the same amount of game time.

(There's a funny story about Dad talking to an overzealous father who was angry that his "superstar" kid wasn't playing more, and was overly vocal about his displeasure. At one point Dad went over to "talk" to "superdad", and, while smiling the entire time, told him in no uncertain terms that: a) This was his team, and no one was going to tell him how to run it; b) the "superstar" was playing just as much as everyone else on the team; and c) if superdad didn't shut his mouth, Dad was going to ram his whistle so far down the guy's throat he'd have to take his pants off to announce the halftime).


I'd like to think I'm a little more diplomatic, but there are times that my father's influence shines through brightly.

I'll do my best to foster and nurture not only TheBoy's love of basketball, but for all the boys on the team. One of the great things about basketball at this level is that it's one of the easiest sports to practice - even soccer requires cleats and an open expanse of field. All you need is a pair of sneakers and a basketball - if you don't have a hoop handy, you can practice dribbling and passing. Basketball is one of the few sports that you can practice alone for most of the game - passing being the notable exception - and develop excellent skills.

The town complex has a six hoop enclosed court; the elementary school has an outdoor court as well as an indoor court. The high school and junior high both have outdoor nets near the sporting fields. The city next to us has a park just over the city line with a number of courts. The local community college - as well as the YMCA - have spots on the weekends that are free for anyone to come in and shoot hoops in the indoor courts. The excuse of  "I couldn't find a place to practice" rings especially hollow here.

I grew up in the 1970s and 1980s, one of the greatest times to be a basketball fan in New England. It was the heyday of the Boston Celtics - truly the Dream Team - with Larry Bird, Robert Parish, Kevin McHale, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge, M.L. Carr, and Red Auerbach as coach. In 1981, when I was the same age as TheBoy, the Celtics won the NBA championship, a feat they would repeat in 1984 and 1986. I spent many afternoons out in the driveway replaying the highlights of the last Celts game against my steel backboard.


And now I'm going to try to pass along my knowledge of the only sports game I've ever truly loved to my son - I hope I don't screw this up...

That is all.

8 comments:

Mike W. said...

"I'm both excited and scared as hell."

I played basketball from 6th through 11th grade. I reffed a few games & the first time was scary as hell.

It also gave me appreciation for all of the crap we gave the refs as players.

Have fun! I'm sure The Boy will be beating you one-on-one soon.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Going to Sleep when you're Dead, huh? ; ) Have fun!

Weer'd Beard said...

I know you well enough to know you'll do just fine!

Anonymous said...

My dad was much the same. While he played football in college he coach little league baseball. Everybody played in every game way before it was fashionable.

Funny thing he always had winning teams. He spent lot's of time on basics and when the starters missed a game the other kids were not afraid to step up.

He had one kid who only got on base when he got hit by a pitch, he wouldn't swing at a ball. It took all season but at the end Joey finally swung at a pitch and got on base. I don't know who was happier.

Gerry

David said...

And so it begins...

Nine years ago I had the following conversation with my 6th grade daughter:

Mandy: "I want to join the volleyball team at school."
Me: "OK, what do I have to sign?"
Mandy: "They need a coach, will you do it?"
Me: "No."
Mandy: "Why Not?"
Me: "I'm not a coach. I don't know how to coach."
Mandy: "Uncle Dave says you used to be a good player so you can coach."
Me: "Knowing how to play doesn't mean that you can, or should, coach. Besides, haven't you learned yet not to believe everything your Uncle Dave tells you?"
Mandy: (giggling) "That's funny cause he says the same thing about you."
Me: "Well, he's right, about that, not about me coaching."
Mandy: "PPPPllllleeeeeeaaaaasssssseeeee!!!!!"
Me: "No."
Mandy: "Why not?"
Me: "Because I had to give up playing when you were four. If I can't play it I certainly don't want to stand around and watch a bunch of little girls play."
Mandy: "PPPPllllleeeeeeaaaaasssssseeeee!!!!!"
Me: "No! I-do-not-know-how-to-be-a-coach!"

This was followed by several hours of my daughter using every trick that is bred into her DNA on how to wrap her Daddy around her little finger. In the end I did what most Daddys in that situation do - I caved.

Nine years later, I am still the head coach at that very small middle school. How small? I usually have to play 6th and 7th grade girls on my 8th grade team in order to have enough girls to make a team.

I have always told my players and parents that I am here to teach you how to be a team, how to be a better player and how to be an athlete. I will set my lineups in order to maximize everyone's learning potential. I want us to win, but will not sacrifice a single players chance to play or learn in order to do so.

I tell them right up front, every season, what to expect - play time will NOT be equal, but everyone will play - every game.

In addition, I am in my fifth year as director and head coach for a traveling volleyball club that I started so some of my students could play year round. We started with 8 girls, six of them from my middle school. Last year we had 38 girls representing every high school and middle school in town.

Stick to your guns (so to speak) with your coaching philosophy. Teaching athletes will always be better and more rewarding than just winning. Remember a win is not always winning and a loss is not always losing. What they get from both winning and losing will be up to you.

In nine years as a middle school coach I have always put teaching ahead of winning and of the 22 girls from my program who have tried out for high school teams 20 of them have made their teams.

My school's graduates make up only 2% of the local high school student body. My volleyball players make up almost 30% of the high school volleyball teams.

I don't coach to win, I coach to teach - yet my teams have never had a losing season and we have medaled in 90% of the tournaments we have played over the years.

Teach them to play, teach them to play together, teach them not only the what and how, but also the why. Empower them to become students of the game. The winning will take care of itself.

Have fun.

Anonymous said...

Good luck...
I coached my son in Baseball, Spring/Summer/Fall Baseball from Tee-Ball until 7/8th grade. It was enjoyable, satisfying, met a lot of fine young men and now that many are varsity players in a variety of sports I can say ..I coached him!!...
Of course the politics of dealing with parents and coaches whom were a bit more serious about winning at any costs, where I found teaching and watching players succeed and the joy of a great play or catch or that "homerun" with the huge smiles, was my gratification, eventually caused me to voice my displeasure with certain folks....Well lets say sitting in the stands as a spectator is quite enjoyable today..

David said...

Jay,

Get yourself a copy of John Wooden's book - "Wooden".

Read it straight through a couple times. Then leave it sitting by your chair, or on your bedside table. Then occasionally just pick it up randomly open it and read whatever page it opens to.

Like I said in my post above, I knew nothing about coaching when I started. I knew volleyball, but not how to be a coach. I started studying every coach in every sport that I admired. I read voraciously - some great books, some not so great.

This is one of the best, if not the best.

Jay G said...

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words, stories, and suggestions.

The season starts after Thanksgiving, so I have a little time to prepare. I'll check that "Wooden" out (thanks David) and maybe cram a little on the basics... ;)