Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dispatches from Blogorado, Part II

SCI-FI sends in more missives from the secret lair:
Today was my first time Open-Carrying:

- The Springfield 45 in a hard-plastic holster (right side) and 2 mag holder (left side) took some getting used to. I bumped into doorjambs, seatbelt receivers, chairs. Since I was a bit of a pig-on-roller-skates, I actually carried the pistol with no mag through breakfast -- and all seasoned gun owners here told me, in the same hushed tones you would tell someone that his fly was down, that my pistol was empty. In short, just suck it up, load it, and don't worry.
- Unbuckling your belt for any reason is an adventure: the pants weigh five pounds and head for the floor at the slightest provocation.

Setting up the range:
- OldNFO, LawDog, and AEPilotJim spent quite a while poring over Google maps, working out sightlines, berms, and overshoots. Safety is the top concern.
- Most of the day was spent hauling gear, building backstops, and measuring markers.
- Tam came with us while we set up the range, to keep an eye on us and interject rational thought when needed. After lunch, however, she did not return with us. I believe we proved so utterly unmanageable and immune to logic, she fled for more intelligent companionship. One more "underwear" joke or "wood" pun surely would have driven her to madness.

Prairie Dog plinking:
- My aim was actually pretty good... but I don't account enough for drop over long distances. AEPilotJim was spotting for me, watching as I took three shots to walk it up the ridge to a distant prairie dog. (I believe the dog actually lit a cigarette in the time it took me to put lead into his neighborhood.)
- OldNFO claims his rifle is inaccurate... as he plugs the little critter and sends it cartwheeling into oblivion.

Costume Parade prep:
- The womenfolk are taking full advantage of the plans for a costume "event"... I'm frightened beyond the capacity for rational thought at what this may involve.
- MattG is wearing a skirt. *He* calls it a kilt, but he was doing catwalk twirls and catching dollars in the waistband, so *I* call it skirt.
- The FarmGirl WarWagon made its appearance. Appearance is embargoed, so no pictures until after Saturday's shooty goodness. It does have an appropriate throne for Stingray's debut as The Humungous.
- Speer has a gunfighter 'stache and a bowler hat. He's in character, but not in costume.

Wisdom of the Day:
"Shooting a 1911 is a march. Shooting a revolver is a waltz."

-SCI-FI
This wasn't just SCI-FI's first time OC'ing. This was his first time carrying at all. Sounds like he did just fine. I can't think of a finer group of people to help guide him on his maiden voyage, either.

Looking forward to more shooting reports - and the WarWagon!

That is all.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

It was wonderful having SciFi with us. Didn't realize it was his first time carrying until after the fact. He did just fine.