Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday Gun Pr0n #236

I reached into the "occasional" safe for today's gun pic. OldNFO will approve, I am certain...

Lawman

That's a Colt Lawman Mk III .357 Magnum revolver. It has a six-shot cylinder, fixed sights, and a 2" bull barrel. It weighs about 38 pounds (okay, it feels that way) and has the traditional Colt buttery smooth DA/SA trigger. This one is a rarity in that it has a transfer bar rather than a firing pin on the trigger, much like my Ruger Security Six or the Smith & Wesson model 360PD. It's one of the rarer wheelguns in the armory, and I don't get it out to the range as much as she deserves - mainly because the grip just doesn't feel right, and there are precious few aftermarket grips for the "D" frame...

I think I might just bring the old girl to the range this weekend, actually...

That is all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are grips for the Colt Cobra out there. Some will not fit an early Cobra. Think they'd work on the Lawman?

Bubblehead Les. said...

I ended up tracking down some grips from Sile for my Cobra, but I had to go through an aftermarket "Parts Place" that sold Obsolete stuff. But you're right about early vs late D-Frames, Anon 8:13. That unshrouded ejector rod might make it an "Early Grip", but since Jay says it has the Transfer Bar, it might have the later, shorter grip. I'd talk to a "Prancing Pony" expert like OldNFO for the Technical details.

Robert McDonald said...

I really need to invest in some nice older revolvers at some point.

iainmcphersn said...

That's an excellent reason to invest in a set of custom grips. :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm.... I think the Lawman is a J frame.

You knew that. Brain fade.

Jay G said...

[slaps self in head]

Yep. J-frame. I suspect my adherence to S&W prevented me from typing that... :)

Your Correspondent said...

Just add a Tyler T-Grip.
I have the four-inch version of this and it's terrible with the stock handles. T-Grip, it's all good and you can hit things with the bullets.
I'm a Colt guy but it's hard for me to like the Mk III trigger. I'm glad for you yours is good.
Now, try an old Official Police and see how good a service revolver can be. Too bad the days of the $200 OP are gone.

Jay G said...

I actually have several T-grips; I'll try kicking one on the Lawman, thanks!

And I agree completely on the Official Police - I have four - those have a better double action trigger than some of the single actions I've tried...

Keads said...

Nice!

Daniel E. Watters said...

If I remember correctly, all of the Colt J-Frame revolvers had frame-mounted firing pins. That was one of the changes introduced with the Mk III-series versus their E-Frame namesakes.