Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Way Beyond "Pimp My Ride"...

Reader Jeff sends in this article about some really bad custom cars:

The Horrible Rides according to SEMA
The Specialty-Equipment-Market-Association (SEMA) organises a yearly event in Las Vegas. The event is aimed at being a showcase for car tuners and modifiers, who makes changes to the routine designs, using this event to boast about the same. Though some wonderful innovations were on display at the event, some really painful to the eye designs with worse paint jobs also made their way into the show. The article takes a look at 20 of the worst looking cars that were displayed at SEMA 2011.
What's my least favorite? Easy call - this:

Yellow Nightmare

(from link)

It looks like a mid 1990s Chevy S-10 with every tuner option ever made bolted onto it, with a Chrysler 300M grill grafted on the front. Painted DPW truck yellow with 30" rims, the only way this could possibly get any worse would be to have an overactive hydraulics kit that bounced it five feet in the air. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder - all I know is I don't want the person who thought this was beautiful painting my house...

Go check out some of the other entries - see if you can pick my favorite of the group!

That is all.

10 comments:

Wraith said...

I think the #9 pic is wrong. The bike shown is blue, not orange, and that looks like a reasonably sized front wheel to me.

And the Mack in #1 is sweet, IMNSHO.

bluesun said...

Monster Truck!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I actually came very close to building a fire truck very much like #1, right down to the black with gold (though 30yrs ago the plan was to put an olds 455 under the hood of an old American- LaFrance pumper (it was about the size of a modern pickup truck)that was too far gone for a proper restoration. I've also had the good fortune of meeting the Ice Cream Man From Hell and saw both his truck and his Harley. Pretty cool in my book!

Angus McThag said...

Can anyone else figure out what they mean about the wheel on that bike making it hard to steer?

That sure looks like the same proportions my Sportster had.

Dave H said...

Call me a Philistine, but I liked the Mack fire engine too. It has sort of a Munstermobile taste.

I'd be more inclined to accept some of the author's esthetic pronouncements if he'd go take a freshman comp course first. I've seen better writing wrapped around day old fish.

Veeshir said...

When I sold cars it always made me laugh when some guy came in to trade in his "custom" car.

I hated telling him that he put $5k into a $10k car to make it worth $3k.

Ken said...

The Decoliner would be pretty cool if you could drive it from the flying bridge. :-)

I liked the fire truck too. Would've been even neater with a flathead mill.

Weer'd Beard said...

If Pikachu drove a pickup-truck....

Mikael said...

The monster truck was tasteless, but that motorcycle at the end was also horrible. And that yellow spiny thing was still probably the worst.

Tari Ledsome said...

Xzibit and his Pimp My Ride crew will have a hard time making something like that yellow car. Any idea who designed that yellow-nightmare? Where can I find the other entries?