Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday Gun Pr0n #243

I had a gun all selected for today's picture, I really did. I have another T&E gun from Ruger to write about, and had planned on putting it up today. Except that last Friday, my good pal SCI-FI unveiled to me his second firearm purchase ever:

SA/DA Plastic Fantastic .45 ACP!

Beretta PX4 Storm in G-d's Own Pistol Caliber .45 ACP. I'll let SCI-FI tell you about his first time shooting her:

We had a very short window for pistols before the sun went down, but I did manage to run two full mags through the Beretta, and one through my 1911 for comparison.

Though both are .45s, the shooting experience was night and day. Since the polymer Beretta is a lighter gun, I would have expected a much greater transmission of recoil energy to my hand, but that wasn't the case. The Beretta is smoother, with a much lighter recoil. I also let JayG and Weerd run a mag each, to get the opinions of more seasoned shooters. (I would've let Wally take it for a run, but he was too busy handing out fully-loaded ARs like Tic-Tacs.) I'll let JayG and Weerd add their own 2c.

For the record, I used FarmDad's coaching on stance (Blogorado III). My shooting has improved immeasurably.

Excellent choice, SCI-FI!

That is all.

10 comments:

Johnnyreb™ said...

The rotating barrel lock sure smooths things out on those pistols. Oh, and it's pretty easy to change models on these. i.e. change it from from an F model (safety/decock) to a G model (decock only).

Old NFO said...

Good report, and congrats to SF for a new piece!

Laura said...

woo Beretta!

i want a 9mm PX4.

Jay G said...

FWIW, my impressions from the one magazine I fired were favorable.

I have two polymer .45s against which to compare the Beretta:

S&W M&P45 with the craptastic MA trigger

Glock G30

Maybe as part of the M&P45 T&E process I can have SCI-FI meet me for a "Plastic Fantastic .45 ACP shoot-off"???

Rifleman762 said...

I'd like to see a comparison between the M&P and the Beretta.

Butch Cassidy said...

Beretta! BERATTA!

The Beretta PX series is very nice line of pistols. Granted, I am expected to say that as a rampant, frothing-at-the-mouth Beretta fanboy.

I can honestly say that even the sub-compacts recoil far less than they should. Every time I shot a friend's 9mm PX4SC, I was amazed at the dainty recoil. And the sub-compacts use a regular Browning-style tilting block.

Also: SF, try dropping a "D spring" in the gun. The double action will be noticeably lightened. If it isn't, well the experiment only cost eight dollars, and I'll buy the spring from you to put in my next 92 or 96 variant.

PMain said...

My better half was leaning towards the M&P, when we tried a PX4 Storm in 9mm at the range. Sure enough, 2 boxes later she loves this gun. Fit her hand & the recoil was non-existent for such a short barrel. Needless to say, I was sold as well & am looking at getting the .45 version.

Weer'd Beard said...

I can bring my Kahr to join you!

YAYY for Plastic .45s

Jennifer said...

Awesome! I want one of those but in the DAO variety with no levers and stuff. They have not released that version in the US in .45ACP

Wally said...

I didn't get to shoot it but it sure did feel great in the hand. The Berettas run well and they are excellent firearms.

Two snaps up in Z formation!