Friday, December 9, 2011

Living in the Future...

You know, while we still don't have our flying cars, there is one really, really great thing about living in this crazy future: I'm on track to do all of my Christmas shopping online. I've gotten University-themed Christmas ornaments for my sister from our alma mater; tools for my dad; a new [redacted] for the Mrs.; a special gift for a good friend; and numerous other items all from the magic of the internet. Real goods, shipped to real people, all ordered through the 'net without me ever having to set foot inside a mall.

That's worth not having flying cars *or* a city on the moon IMHO...

That is all.

10 comments:

Garrett Lee said...

Flying cars? Agreed. (Take the number of accidents on railroads, a 1-dimensional method of travel. Compare with cars, a 2-dimensional method. Extrapolate to three.)

City on the moon? No. I want to live in Tycho Under.

TinCan Assassin said...

And there aren't any prohibative signs in JayG's Mall in a Magic Elf Box.

Stretch said...

"That's worth not having flying cars *or* a city on the moon IMHO..."

The ghost of RAH will haunt you tonight.

North said...

Your Mrs should learn to make do with her old redacted. They don't make redacted like they used to. You should be able to get years of kinematic fluctuation and random euphoric peripeteia without replacement.

You can keep a redacted in working order. Just replace her Bronson springs, scrape off the accumulated flotsam, and lubricate the hell out of the [redacted]

Weer'd Beard said...

An extra large tub of Crisco? You shouldn't have! Merry X-Mas Buddy!

Will Brown said...

Good one, North.

And in the seasoning of the spirits, you let him off with the short version.

Mikael said...

What I miss is the terraformed colonies, and ftl drives...

Ross said...

It is NOT worth not having a city on the moon. I want to go flying in 1/6th G and see Earthrise.

I hereby sentence you to re-read The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress again. (and if you've never read it, I may reconsider giving you that Estes Enterprise!)

Jay G said...

I dunno. Being able to do my Christmas shopping in my pajamas sure beats the pants off of ice drilling...

The Neophyte said...

The real question is "were you allowed to open carry while you were shopping?" Didn't you make all of the other ecustomers nervous?