Monday, December 12, 2011

Northeast Bloggers Fourth Annual Winter Social Update

Okay, we're two weeks closer to the potential blogmeet, and with the holidays rapidly approaching, really need to firm things up quick. Original post is here, some updates to post and decisions need to be made. To accommodate a blogger with time constraints, we're going to have two events this winter (see below)

What? Northeast Blogger Winter Gathering / Lunch.

Who? Any and all bloggers, commenters, readers, lurkers, etc. in the Northeast area, or those passing through, or anyone crazy enough to show up.

When? For the winter social, Saturday, January 7th seems to work best for everyone. Typically we start dinner around 7 or so, and hang out jawing until north of midnight.

For the lunch, it will be New Year's Day (January 1st, as I am reminded...). We're thinking 1 PM or so, given that it's New Year's Day and I expect to be up LATE the night before (and drinking heavily).

Where? Still TBD. For dinner, we've had suggestions of La Carreta or Martha's Exchange in Nashua, KC's Rib Shack or Strange Brew in Manchester, and "someplace" in Portsmouth, NH. I'm amenable to any of these locations; La Carreta is the only restaurant I've been to, but the food was great. The only drawback is that there's little in the immediate area for "after dinner" entertainment, although there's plenty of places we could go.

For the lunch, I'm thinking somewhere in northeastern MA, maybe somewhere on the Route 1 corridor north of Boston?

Why? Folks getting together to enjoy good food, great beer, and superlative company. Bring your appetite, a whistle for wetting, and your best stories to tell. For the dinner, we might find a place to play pool afterwards...

Attendees (dinner):
Mopar and Cher
Weerdbeard and Mrs. Weerd
Zeeke42
MedicMatthew
Doubletrouble (& Mrs.?)
libertyman
LWJ
Yankeefried
Ross
JD
TOTWTYTR

Attendees (lunch):
Paul (our guest-of-honor)
Yankeefried
Weerdbeard

Okay, so let's pick a location for both the dinner and the lunch, and I'll start making some phone calls. We've still got a little while to make arrangements, but it's closing quick. With Christmas in less than two weeks (HOLY HELL HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!?!?), it'll come up right quick. Let me know what we'd like to do for both the dinner and the lunch and I can make calls. Right now the lunch is looking to be a more intimate event, so I think we can be a little more flexible, but if we get more than ~ 8 people, we'll need to call somewhere and reserve a large table at least.

Let's git-r-done and get together!

That is all.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I'm not traveling that weekend, count me in for the dinner

MeatAxe said...

I might could make it to the dinner. Let me check with the boss.

Andrew said...

Sorry Jay. I am doing a romantic get-away with the Mrs. that weekend.

Paul, Dammit! said...

I don't get up to Rt. 1 much, as I'm from the South Shore, where there are a few wicked pissa restaurants that don't require a ride through the SE expressway. Regardless, I'm good to go, but apologies for not being able to name a place to go. Does Hilltop do a light lunch? I've never been there, and I wouldn't mind getting my beef on.
I'll be on leave anyhow, so I'm pretty much good any place any time from Dec 21-Jan 3.

libertyman said...

Er Jay, the 7th isn't New Year's Day. I believe this year it falls on January 1.

LWJ said...

Coat of Arms in Portsmouth would be good for dinner.

Christina RN LMT said...

So, to clarify: The lunch is on Sunday, New Year's Day. The dinner is on Saturday, January 7th. Correct?

Anonymous said...

Will probably have my better half with me at the dinner to meet the infamous Jay G.

libertyman said...

Yeah, I am a little confused here Jay on the dates.

libertyman said...

Now I get it -- put me down for lunch on New Year's Day, too.

Ross said...

For lunch, every Sunday there's a great all-you-can eat BBQ buffet at Firefly's in Marlborough. Just sayin'.

And now I have to decide... Hangover Shoot at Southboro Rod & Gun, Black Powder Shoot at Harvard Sportsman's Club, or the Bloggerlunch.

Decisions, decisions.

TJIC said...

Still bummed that I missed the NE Blogger Shoot - as long as I'm not picking JS up in TN that day, I'm in!

Anonymous said...

I thought the place in Porstmouth was the Red Hook brewery?

-Wally

Christina RN LMT said...

Silver the Evil Chao and I will be there for lunch, and I'll drag SCI-FI and Mrs. SCI-FI with us if they're not busy. Dinner will be the same, sans Silver, since she's going back to school the day before.

Mopar said...

We at least got a city nailed down yet? I'll be getting a hotel for the night again, and probably hitting the fun show in Manchvegas the day after the dinner.