Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Remember, We Discourage "Self Help" Here...

Brad_in_MA thinks my blood pressure is too low. He must; otherwise he wouldn't send me stories like this:

Ten murderers hitting street with board OK
Ten of the 11 lifers whose early releases have been green-lighted this year are convicted murderers being set free by the same Parole Board Gov. Deval Patrick assembled to plug a terrifying flow of violent offenders being let loose on the streets. The 11th is serving time for unarmed robbery, said Josh Wall, the panel’s chairman.

“Oh my God. After what’s happened? I’m outraged by this,” said truth-in-sentencing champion Les Gosule, whose daughter Melissa Gosule, a 27-year-old schoolteacher, was raped and murdered on Cape Cod in 1999 by a man convicted of more than two dozen crimes. “I would think they would have erred on the side of being ultraconservative. They acted stupidly.”
Yes, "lifer" means "was sentenced to prison for life" - and they're being tossed back out among us, with the vast majority being violent criminals. This is Massachusetts, where - according to John Rosenthal - "you're more likely to live here" because of our strict gun control laws. Of course, "you" refers to violent criminals released into the general population which is by and large disarmed due to the onerous, arbitrary, capricious, and, oh, unconstitutional gun laws of the Volksrepublik.

If "life in prison" really meant that the convict would actually expire behind bars every single time, I would consider changing my stance on the death penalty. It's cases like these, where hardened criminals sentenced to life in jail are - despite their sentence - being released to walk among us. Ten of the eleven being released are murderers - and while law-abiding MA residents are significantly hampered by the gun control laws to even own a firearm, criminals intent on returning to their old ways are not.

I think in honor of this ruling I am going to get my NRA Instructor's Certificate so that I can better help the people of Massachusetts acquire their permits.

That is all.

10 comments:

George said...

Do it, Jay. It's an easy two day class, and you won't regret it. I got mine a few years ago, and I love teaching new shooters.

Marty said...

Do it. Do it now...

Dave H said...

I concur, Jay. Get the instructor's certificate. You've been doing most of the job already, so it's only natural.

TOTWTYTR said...

10 more reasons to carry on a regular basis and encourage my daughter to get her LTC.

Like you, I've been thinking about going to an NRA instructor class, mostly because I want to know what I'm talking about when I take a new shooter to the range.

Anonymous said...

Three days to pickup Basic Pistol and Home Firearms Safety (either of which qualifies for FID/LTC in MA).

MAgunowner said...

Teaching basic pistol to eager new shooters is a very rewarding experience, Jay. Go for it.

Anonymous said...

Remember that you also need to get the Mass State Police cert. Jack.

Anonymous said...

State police cert simple, just file a copy of your NRA instructor card and pay $50 for 10 years.

zeeke42 said...

I highly recommend the instructor class at GOAL. Jon Green is an excellent teacher.

Daniel in Brookline said...

I'm with Dave. You're basically doing the work already; might as well make it official.