Monday, December 19, 2011

Too Good Not To Share...

Man, I have GOT to get over the border soon. I love New Hampshire.

NH may warn drivers they're entering MA
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - Some New Hampshire Republicans are proposing that signs be set up along unmarked roads leading into Massachusetts, saying: "Warning: Massachusetts Border 500 Feet."
What an awesome state. Looking out for their residents and everything... Not to mention giving the Volksrepublik a nice little poke in the eye at the same time. It does bring to mind a post that Mike did a while back, as well as Weerd's follow-up, with regards to the illusory nature of state boundaries. I noticed this at the Northeast bloggershoot this past summer in ferrying folks around the state of NH. The route taken from the nearest hotel in NH to the sooper seekrit range involved dipping into and out of Massachusetts - even when we deliberately avoided the major highways. Now, all firearms were unloaded and in locked cases, and we were all legal in our start and end points, so FOPA applies and all, but still. Someone could very well have meandered across the line without even realizing it.

I've noticed this on the motorcycle when I take off on a "where does this road go" type ride. I can be following some backroad in northeast MA, follow it for a period of time, see no signs other than street signs, when all of a sudden I find myself in a town in NH. I've seen guys coming back from motorcycle weekend inadvertantly get a few miles into MA without realizing they needed their helmets on. While the onus is certainly on the individual to make sure they're obeying the laws of the state they're in, sometimes it's not cut-and-dry as to where free state N ends and occupied territory M begins.

At least good ol' Live Free or Die land is looking out for her citizens...

That is all.

9 comments:

Mopar said...

Reason #5,397 to move to NH.

Eck! said...

Gee back when MA used to have the manditory gun law notification at all the entrances before the Welcome to MA signs. I miss them telling the truth about the Volksrepublik.


Eck!

MeatAxe said...

That is a very good point. I assumed I'd be in NH the whole way back from the Bloggershoot, and packed up my guns accordingly. Good thing I didn't get pulled over.

Old NFO said...

Good point, and yeah, I 'remember' those little jogs into Mass... Especially with what I had in the truck!

Eric said...

Did anyone else immediately think of the Check Point Charlie, "You are leaving the American sector" sign after reading this?

Sabra said...

Living in Texas, I lack the problem of accidentally driving into another state. ;-) However, I'll admit I enjoyed the ease of ducking into Rhode Island back when I lived in Groton.

lee n. field said...

Of course, it doesn't help that the size of states out east would be, like, Walmart parking lots further west.

My oldest boy is coming in from New Hampster this week. I'll have to ask him about this.

Steve said...

I'm well acquainted with the meandering roads near the ss range. Whenever I shop at your favorite fun store in that part of the world, I drive 5 extra miles home because I'm too cheap to fork over 100$ to Devalistan. The shortest path would take me into the people's republic.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Why do you think Zercool and I came into the Blogshoot via Vermont? Even an Empire Stater like the Z-Man didn't want to be screwed by the Volksrepublik in case we got stopped by Mass. Finest's.