Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Gun Pr0n #249

Heh. This one was almost numerically accurate, too... I mentioned earlier this week getting a new T&E gun. No one guessed the correct model; Brad_in_MA guessed something in the proper caliber, though. Here's the new gun:

Moar .45 ACP Goodness!

That's a SIG SAUER P250 Compact in G-d's Own Pistol Caliber (.45 ACP). It's a DAO, hammer-fired, polymer framed double stack semi-automatic with a modular design - not only can the slide and barrel be swapped out for different sizes (and calibers), but the frame as well. There's a "functional mechanism" that's the actual firearm (the part that's serialized) that can be taken out of the current frame and placed in a full-size or subcompact frame (with the matching slide and barrel, natch).

It's quite an intriguing concept, and with any kind of luck I'll get a chance to play with the different size options and possibly other calibers as well. I've had excellent luck with the .22LR conversion kit for my P226, which swaps out literally in seconds and allows inexpensive rimfire shooting through a standard duty gun - $0.03/round .22LR vs $0.20/round for 9mm (or $0.25/round for the .40 S&W P226). Being able to change grip size is also rather interesting - it's only one firearm, but it can serve double duty as a carry gun and a home defense pistol.

I'll be putting it through its paces and giving a full report down the road...

That is all.

8 comments:

Mopar said...

Another friend had one for awhile. It's an interesting niche, but one that seems most suited for people living in states like NJ where you need to go through the permit process for each gun. Unless the prices have dropped since my friend bought his, you buy an entire new gun for what the frame conversion between carry and range/home defense cost. If you live in a free state that would probably be the better option, and is what my friend ended up doing himself.

B said...

Midwest Chick (nonoriginalrants.blogspot.com) has had one for a few years and I shot it last weekend. I had forgotten that it had a really smooth light trigger and ythat I could shoot it really well at the range.

I love this firearm. You will too. Might be the best design for carry...... if it were more concealable

(and I carry a Para LDA in Gods Own Caliber)

TOTWTYTR said...

Once again proving that you are the premier gun blogger in Massachusetts.

libertyman said...

Mopar is right -- unless you need to switch because you are limited to one frame, it is not economical to do so. I do like the size and feel of the P250, and may do a little looking at one soon. That you could change calibers and frame size is a plus, but saving money isn't part of the equation.

Jay G said...

Don't forget another angle, guys:

"But honey, I didn't buy another *gun*, it was just a different frame"...

:D

(Err, not that *I* would ever do that, mind you...)

Mopar said...

I can see your point there Jay, but for different reasons. In *MY* house, if I say "Honey, I bought a new gun" the reply is usually "cool, that means I get to buy a new gun now too!".

I'm one lucky bastard.

Bill Nance said...

Honestly not a fan of the concept. (I admit I'm not a big fan of any DAO/DAK gun, but that's a personal thing, not an objective one).

You can get conversion kits for pretty much any Sig for about $250.

Having a "modular" gun that's more expensive for being modular than just buying another gun makes no sense to me. Knowing Sig's prices on aftermarket parts, you'll spend more to "customize" your 250 than you would to just buy a new glock or springfield that meets your needs.

If it's grip size alone, why not the M&P or Glock 4th gen?

I don't think the 250 is going anywhere. I have two sigs (p220 and p239 in .45 and .40 respectively) and have conversion kit for the 220 which is great for new shooters and practice on fundamentals. I also have a 556 rifle. So I'm a fan of Sigs in general. But I don't see this going anywhere.

Jon said...

I *almost* bought one of those at a gun show today. Let us know what you think of it.