Friday, March 23, 2007

If It's Friday, It Must Be Time For...

...Scenes from the Safe!

Today's Scene is one of the handguns I chose in my trip this past weekend:

This is a Smith & Wesson Model 17-4 in .22LR. It's a target revolver, as evidenced by the 8 3/8" barrel, target hammer, and target trigger. This was my Buy A Gun Day purchase in 2005, an impulsive buy that I couldn't resist due to the price (only slightly more than I paid for a used Ruger Single Six...).

This gun is just about perfect for teaching a new shooter the joys of the shooting sports. It's heavy, but not overly so, and with the .22LR chambering, there's no recoil whatsoever. It's quite pleasant to shoot and is insanely accurate, so it's a great gun to start folks out on. My female neighbor referenced in the post above was positively thrilled with this gun, favoring it far above any of the other handguns I'd brought, including the Ruger Security Six loaded with mild .38 special wadcutters.

Someday I'd like to pick up a Smith & Wesson Model 27 (.357 Magnum) and a Model 29 (.44 Magnum) with the same target set-up to have as a set of target guns. As Kim would say, where did I put that lottery ticket?

4 comments:

BobG said...

Nice wheelgun. The only 22's I have in revolvers are the old Ruger Single-Six's with the two cylinders.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's a beauty. I 'speck you've seen my old .22 that is the predecessor of yours. It was a K22 before they had named it- it was made in the same year as me, so you KNOW it's old!!!
heh.

Anonymous said...

I always take a .22 to the range with me. Folks often mention what a great caliber it is to start new shooters off with but I also find it a great practice tool. I can easily overcome alot of issues with my shooting when shooting the .22. When I've got my groupings down and I am not flinching, etc. I can switch to a larger caliber and feel like I'm not wasting ammo. Hell, sometimes I just take the .22 and a box of 500 rounds for $12. With prices of .44 and .45 going up to over $20 a box of 50, it makes sense. I reload ammo but that's another topic for another day. I know alot of folks feel like they gotta pull out the Dirty Harry cannon at the range to look cool, but I just like to shoot for fun, practice, etc. I admire people that appreciate a good .22. They're like salt and pepper shakers... You can't have too many.

Kim du Toit said...

Oof, that's a pretty one. The ONLY knock I have against my Colt Officers Target is the 6-round cylinder.

I need to look around for one of them S&Ws...