Thursday, September 6, 2007

Movie Review... And More!

Today's movie review is the aging buddy flick "Wild Hogs". This is your standard fare buddy/road trip flick with a slight twist: They're all middle-aged guys on Harleys.

Well, since I happen to ride a Harley, and mathematically am rapidly approaching middle age, Mrs. G. thought this one would be right up my alley. Plus, with an impressive cast - Tim Allen, who I don't believe has made a bad film yet (or at least one that I've seen); John Travolta (too bad he's never done any buddy pictures of note...*g*); Martin Lawrence (who IMHO has the oddest buddy road trip pairing against Tim Robbins in "Nothing to Lose"); William H. Macy (fave appearance: The Shoveler in "Mystery Men"); Ray Liotta (man was in "Goodfellas", one of my all-time favorite movies) and Marisa Tomei (who is just as cute as a button) - it seemed like a can't-miss proposition.

The story is pretty rote fare: Four guys who have been friends since high school (which, BTW, pretty much covers my group of buds...) have formed their own motorcycle club (called the "Wild Hogs") as a protest against growing old. Each one has their little quirks - Doug (Allen) is a dentist who craves the approval of his teenaged son; Woody (Travolta) is going through a messy divorce; Dudley (Macy) is a single programmer nerd who is utterly clueless vis รก vis women; and Bobby (Lawrence) is hen-pecked to within an inch of his life. They decide that a week-long road trip to CA on their bikes would be a cool thing to do to renew their zest for life.

Here's where I have my first quibble, and it's a minor one. They live in Cincinnati. They want to ride motorcycles to southern California. By my reckoning, that's approximately 2,000 miles one way. Unless all four are former participants in the "Iron Butt Rally" (a hardcore biker run when participants put on in excess of 1,000 miles a day), it's highly unlikely they'd have time to do little more than stop in CA, take a picture, and then head immediately home...

Also, anyone who's ever taken a motorcycle on any length of a trip will recognize the gaping reality problem - they're shown at their first stop for the night in a tent, with sleeping bags, an air mattress, camp stoves, etc. All four bikes are cruiser-style - none have saddlebags or trunks - and are shown en route with minimal gear strapped on.

But it's escapist cinematography, not a biker documentary, so we can forgive a multitude of sins. Not to mention there's a cameo by Paul Teutul Sr. and Paulie from Orange County Choppers as the co-owners of the bar that the Wild Hogs frequent.

The plot twist, where everything comes off the rails as all buddy-road-trip pictures must, happens in a bar in New Mexico where the Wild Hogs stop in a biker bar run/owned by the "Del Fuegos" (would have been a cute touch to have "Don't Run Wild" playing on the jukebox...). Interesting side note: The Del Fuegos were originally supposed to be Hell's Angels, but the Hell's Angels actually sued Disney to halt the unauthorized use of their name. Let me repeat that: The Hell's Angels sued the Walt Disney Corporation. Isn't that the most surreal sentence ever???

Suffice to say, good guys win, bad guys lose, everyone goes home happy in the end.

The movie was cute enough, with enough glorious New Mexico landscape to paste over the plot holes. Definitely worth the $20 for the DVD.




The "more" referenced in the title is my personal objection to a theme in the movie. The whole reason that Jack (Ray Liotta's character, the leader of the Del Fuegos) goes after the Wild Hogs is that he doesn't like the "yuppification" of the biker scene.

This is something I've picked up on in many letters to the editor to various and sundry motorcycle-based magazines I read. There's the lament that most bikers today are lawyers or doctors or investment bankers, and that this is somehow a bad thing.

Now, I'll grant one thing: I don't like poseurs. Guys that drop $35K on a CVO custom Harley only to ride it 250 miles a year drive me nuts; it kills me that I only put 3K a year on my bike as it is. But my bike isn't a fashion statement. I've loved motorcycles since I was 5 years old and took a ride on the back of my dad's State Police Harley. I've owned a bike of some sort for 12 years now, and been a member of the AMA for over 10 years. I didn't turn 40 and suddenly discover my inner Wyatt.

To me, though, it's really true that "It's not what you ride, it's that you ride." I'll wave to any biker I pass, even if they're on a crotch rocket, rice racer, metric cruiser, Hondabago, etc. - they don't have to ride a Harley (or simply an American bike) to "prove" anything.

That is all.

8 comments:

knitalot3 said...

I laughed so hard at Macy and the real estate sign that I could have missed the rest of the movie and still enjoyed it.

I'm sure they just UPS'ed or FedEx'ed their camping gear ahead. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I don't ride a "hondabago" (I love that term by the way) but close: Honda Valkyrie Interstate.

I've been a "biker" since my first ride on a mini-bike at age 12 some 31 years ago. I ride pretty much every day, summer or winter, rain or shine.

I now own a trash hauler because it's just hard to fit a load of mulch or month's worth of groceries on the bike, but my first choice is always two wheels and I've gone through lengthy periods of life when I didn't own a cage at all.

I have no deep philosophical dislike of Harleys like some do; I don't ride a Harley for two reasons: I do my own maintenance but not necessarily because I enjoy it, more for financial reasons. Therefore, the less wrench turning and more riding, the better.

Second, Harley's are overpriced. When I can get better performance and more accouterments for half the price...Harley can keep their name and their tank badges thank you very much.

But there are those Harley riders who don't consider me a "real" biker because they don't appreciate my choice of ride. To them, I say come back and talk to me after you've gotten your first 500,000 miles under your belt. After you're no longer a beginner, we'll discuss what it means to be a "real" biker.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I just added you to my blogroll under "Biker Trash Gunnies" (category courtesy of Fodder at Ride Fast and Shoot Straight).

Incidentally, good movie review...I couldn't agree more.

Jay G said...

knitalot3,

I had a hard time with all of those scenes because it pains me deeply to see the motorcycles abused so... ;)

sailorcurt,

If the Valkyrie Interstate had been available when I bought my Electra Glide I'd have given it serious thought.

That 6 cylinder motor is a MONSTER - I test-rode a Valk back when I rode a Magna V-45, and the power is impressive to say the least.

I'd like to ride every day, but I'm lucky to get on the bike once a week. Between work, kids, and crazy-ass busy weekends, time is precious.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel, though - my son should be big enough to fit on the back of the bike next summer (his feet should be able to touch the footboards IMHO). Once I can take him with me, getting a "kitchen pass" to go for a ride will get exponentially easier... ;)

As for the Harley, well, I'd be lying if the name didn't matter in the purchase of my bike. As for price, well, a good chunk of that can be gotten back in resale - check out what other 2003 Harleys are selling for vs. a 2003 Shadow, for example.

As for a "real" biker, hell, if you're on two wheels and have a clutch you count in my book (sorry, scooters don't cut it) :)

Thanks for the link. I'll try to get to an update tonight to put you up here.

Strings said...

Heh... I ride a '76 hondapotomus, and have had some hardcore 1%ers defend my ride from criticizm (by me)...

Next ride will be a Harley, and older shovelhead. And only because I figure it'll be a touch easier to work on (and customize: it'll eventually be raked a touch).

But I have to agree with Jay: if you're on two wheels and have a clutch, you get a wave. The snobs irritate the hell out of me.

The premis of the "fight" between the Hogs and the Del Fuegos didn't bother me all that much, especially when the fight was actually over...

Jay G said...

strings,

You don't mean a '76 'Wing, do ya? Those are sweet - I love the early models (and the new ones ain't too shabby either...).

I wish I had the time and mechanical inclination to work on bikes, because I'd like to pick up an older softail (Fat Boy or Standard) to play with. Alas, I'll have to settle for adding chrome to the Geezer Glide... ;)

It wasn't that the premise of the fight bothered me. It's that the sentiment exists at all.

And also that things aren'y always as they seem - sure, the late 30s guy with no tattoos (yet) on the shiny new Harley might be an investment banker poseur who owns a Harley solely as a status symbol.

Or he could be a guy who's wanted a Harley his whole life, riding a succession of imitation Harleys (Hardleys) until he could finally afford what he really wanted. Why piss all over someone's lifelong dream because they don't conform to your image?

Can't we all just get along? Won't someone think of the children? Who's up for a rousing chorus of "Kumbaya"???

;)

knitalot3 said...

Group Hug!!

They should have had a disclaimer "No motorcycles were wounded beyond repair in the making of this movie".

I have ridden a motorcycle a few times, but the people here drive very badly and I value my life and skin.

Also, it isn't recommended to be a passenger to one's (X)husband driving way too fast after drinking too much beer. Years ago, but still traumatized.

Anonymous said...

my son should be big enough to fit on the back of the bike next summer

Just wait until he's old enough to care what the girls think, but not old enough to drive on his own.

My son used to beg me to take him to school on the back of the bike...the girls thought it was so cool.

Having a biker for an ol' man is in instant +5 in the coolness quotient.