Friday, May 30, 2008

Gun Pr0n #61

Today's gun is a Colt Official Police Special, a 4" barreled, fixed sight fighting pistol chambered in .38 Special.

The gun in and of itself is rather unremarkable; there were several zillion 4" barrel, six-shot fixed sight guns made for police forces around the world for the better part of the 20th century. The barrel and cylinder show typical holster wear common to issued sidearms. The wood grips are gone, replaced by the more utilitarian (but several orders of magnitude less attractive) Pachmayr Gripper grips.

So what's the deal? It's a stunt gun. It's a stand-in for my most cherished firearm possession, the Colt Official Police Special revolver my grandfather carried as a town cop. It's a different vintage, so there are minor differences between the two, but they're close enough that I can grab this gun to take to the range or for plinking and not worry about it getting beat up or damaged. She shoots nice, as most of the old Colts do, although I did notice that Grampy's Colt shot better. 'Course, I could have help with that one, too...

That is all.

3 comments:

BobG said...

Nice old classic there.

Kim du Toit said...

Now all you need is to replace that silly rubber stuff with wood, and you'll have a halfway-decent shooter.

I envy you, regardless.

Jay G said...

Thanks bob. I like it. A lot.

Kim,

If you can suggest a place to find wood grips for old Colts, I'm all ears. I am a HUUUUGE fan of wood grips on revolvers.

Come to think about it, I prefer wood grips on pistols, too.

And I'll take a wood stock over a synthetic stock any day, either.

Hmmm. That sounds like someone else I know, but I can't put my finger on it...

:)

As far as envy, I probably shouldn't tell you how much I paid for it, then... >:)