Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Grip Bleg...

Okay. It's time to make my Sig P226 look all pretty. Since this is a target/teaching firearm, the grips don't have to be utilitarian (read: Hogue monogrip). Since it's a full-sized, all-steel 9mm, the recoil-taming ability of the monogrip isn't needed.

So it's time to get the wood out. Or on, as the case may be... Now, I loves me some wood grips. A nice goncalo alves on a blued revolver just about makes the gun. Ditto some nice dark walnut panels on a stainless 1911, or a light ash or maple on a parkerized 1911.

However... I'm a cheap bastard. I just can't justify spending over $100 on a set of grips just for aesthetics, I really can't. Not when I've already got three perfectly good pairs (Sig factory plastic, Hogue monogrip panels, Hogue monogrip wraparounds). Also, since it's the only P226 I own, it's limited (IOW, I don't mind a little extra on the 1911 grips since I can use 'em on more than 1 gun). Ditto J-frame grips.

So... Anyone know where I can get a nice pair of wood grips for a SigSauer P226 for (relatively) cheap money? I'm thinking something like this would look really good ($75 from MidwayUSA with C&R discount). Here's a site with pictures of the 226 with different wood grips on it. I like the looks of the coco bolo checkered grips, but not $90+ shipping worth...

*sigh* It ain't easy bein' frugal cheap...

That is all.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Try to find a pair of used Nills (http://mactec-militaryarms.com/nill_grips.html). They are the most beautiful grips for ANY gun. I have a set on my 220ST and they are gorgeous.

Look for something used on ARF or (*shudder*) eBay.

breda said...

look here, maybe? I love my grips.

Mike W. said...

Breda - Sadly Dennis doesn't make grips for the larger double stack Sigs.

I'm with Andrew, I'd be on the lookout for used Nils. You can sometimes find deals. Hell I bought my P225 Pachmayrs for $15 and they go for at least $100 now.

Jay - Have you checked the SigForum classifieds?

doubletrouble said...

Definitely check out CDNN. They've a shiite-ton of grips, & I believe they give the dealer discount as well. Excellent prices in any case.