Monday, November 24, 2008

What It's All About...

It's the little things in life that matter. Like this morning, as I put on my daughter's sneakers in the crazy morning rush to get out the door. She's fascinated by the shaved head, particularly the tactile sensation. As I leaned over to finish tying her sneakers, she leaned over and kissed the top of my head.

"I love you, Daddy" was all she said.

With these four words, my morning turned around and felt brighter. Even after the lying incident of last week; even though a good chunk of the weekend was dedicated to working with her on why she needed to be truthful and how she had to be mindful of keeping her hands to herself... After all that, I get a completely unprovoked expression of love. That's what makes being a parent worthwhile.

My G-d, I am going to miss this...

That is all.

4 comments:

Borepatch said...

My G-d, I am going to miss this...

It becomes more rare, but because of that, more precious.

I wish it didn't, but the natural progression seems to require the mom and dad birds to push the babies from the nest at some point.

Sigh.

Epijunky said...

I'm right there with you, Jay.

scotaku said...

Got 2 of my own. The gestures change but don't disappear. Somehow, though, what they impart becomes more sublime and lasting.

Mike W. said...

They may not come right out and say it as time goes on, but they'll find ways to let you know.