Thursday, January 15, 2009

Brush With Greatness...

Okay folks, got a special deal for ya...

We've got an opportunity to meet with one of the 'net's bright stars, a writer whose stories have entertained us and touched us deeply. He'll be in the area in a couple of months, and has graciously acquiesced to gracing us with his presence at a blogmeet of us hardy Northeastern bloggers. The date is Saturday, March 21st, most likely getting together sometime around 6 or 7 PM. Location TBD at present time, but thinking somewhere either in Boston or thereabouts.

He has also expressed interest in a shooting event as well; I was thinking we could accomplish this on Sunday, March 22nd, ideally at a southern NH location so that our friends in the Great White North (ahem) won't have to drive as far if they'd care to meet with this person. Details to be hashed out later; suffice to say I'd want to show this southern boy a rootin' tootin' good shootin' time - perhaps arrange a round of redneck trap?

Anyways... For those who haven't guessed, the inimitable Ambulance Driver will be the guest of honor. He's in the area for a conference, and is game for a get-together after much begging on my part if we can pull something together. I'd like to do two separate meets, one north, one south; obviously folks are welcome to attend both if they'd like. The dinner get-together would be more open, as we can find a suitable restaurant or brewpub that can accomodate our boisterous group; the shooting event might be more restrictive - I can have five guests at my gun club, which makes for a less inclusive setting. Other arrangements may be possible...

(You could even buy his book ahead of time and bring it to be autographed! Wouldn't that be something to show the grandkids???)



Please let me know if you are interested in attending either event, and we'll start getting some specifics down...


That is all.

19 comments:

JD said...

OK, I would love to attend both if possible. Put me on the list!

MedicMatthew said...

Count me in for both! The calendar is clear for both days. I *will* make it to this blogger meet.

SpeakerTweaker said...

There's that damned ~2400 mile thing again.

@!^#%!!!



tweaker

zeeke42 said...

In for both assuming family doesn't get in the way. I only get 2 guests at my club, so that's no help.

Andrew said...

I am in, now that I actually live in FREAKING FROZEN New Hampshire.

Anonymous said...

w00t! I'll be there! Both times! I'll help out, too, just let me know what needs doing :) Yay!

TOTWTYTR said...

Who is the Ambulance Driver person you speak of?

Jay G said...

JD,

You got it. Don't know where the shootin' event will be yet. Worst case scenario I can host AD and four others at my club. Best case, we find an open range and some machine guns like the last event... ;)

MedicMatthew,

You'd better make this one, you bahstid! :)

Tweaker,

Hey, I'm bummed that I'm going to miss your meeting.

Odd, isn't it, that we're both going to meet AD?

zeeke42,

Of course. Family always comes first - remember, I'm Italian!

Andrew,

Excellent! You should be somewhat thawed by the end of March, right?

Elizabeth,

Awesome news! Be careful on the offering - you might wind up getting suckered into hosting us all at HSC! :)

TOTWTYTR,

Why do I hear "Who eeees this Calvin you speak of?" (Old Calvin & Hobbes comic...)

This is great. We've already got a good crowd going and we haven't even nailed anything down yet!

So, where would we like to meet for the dinner/libations?

Anonymous said...

I'm willing to work out hosting, if we end up there :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me, Mr. G!!

Seriously, Jay - count me in for one of the shoots. If we need a little more room, my club doesn't seem to have a specific number of guests I'm limited to...

Ross

Anonymous said...

'scuse me - little reading comprehension issue there. Count me in for both - the dinner and the shoot.


This does present a problem, though... I just bought two copies of his book and was going to give one of them to a friend of mine who's a retired EMT... when I see him in NY the week before.

Guess I'll have to mail him his copy.

Lissa said...

Oh, WOW.

I will bow out of the bloggershoot, as there are folks who are better suited to that. And I can't PROMISE to come to the dinner, since I might be snowed under with wedding stuff, but DAMN will I try!!!

Anonymous said...

Lissa: What do you mean you're going to bow out of the bloggershoot!?! I don't want to be the only female there! I'd drown in all the testosterone!

Come on, we've got to up the estrogen quotient on them!

Lissa said...

It depends, Elizabeth; if Doubletrouble hosts us again I'll just HAVE to come. But if it's at Jay's gun club and only five can be invited, I think there are lots of folks who would bring more to the table than I would!

Anonymous said...

OK, this is eerie... I just got the email notification that my two copies of AD's book got delivered.

Coincidence? I think NOT!

Jay G said...

Hey, no need for anyone to bow out of anything yet.

Lissa, the get together will most likely be fairly close to you, so there's no excuse for missing that, not even wedding stuff. :)

(Do I have to send you a reminder? I will if I have to...)

Elizabeth,

We'll see on the gun club. HSC is a great location (a little far south for our northern folks but the range is well-worth the trip); that is certainly an option...

What's your limit on guests BTW?

Anonymous said...

As far as I can tell, there is no guest limit @HSC. Plus, just in the family, we've got 3 full members. I figure it's common courtesy to choose which range we'll be using and let the club know if there'll be, say, more than 10 people, and which range we'll be 'monopolizing'. But I figure as long as we're all following the (very reasonable) safety rules, we're good to go.

Anonymous said...

I'll also be happy to print up 'event fliers' so out-of-staters w/o non-res MA licenses can go ahead and bring in their AWB complient toys. It seems all we need to do is call it a competition and print up fliers and we're good to go.

Weer'd Beard said...

I'm up for both barring any time/date conflict!

I'll be walkin' away with one of thems books too!