Wednesday, April 29, 2009

End of the Innocence...

Well, it was bound to happen.

"Dad, I have a question for you."

"Sure thing buddy, what's up?"

"You always tell me the truth, right?"

[slight pause]

"Of course, pal. What's on your mind?"

"The Easter Bunny's not real, is it?"

[oh crap]

Yep. The Boy no longer believes in the Easter Bunny. He thought that the story sounded a little hinky, and the scuttlebutt in the schoolyard got him to thinking... We've asked him to not ruin it for his sister; I will be amazed if we make it through next Easter, though - he can't resist teasing her, and this is a big 'un.

In a way, it's a relief. As the kids get older, they get a lot more inquisitive. Every year gets a little more difficult than the previous to perpetuate the myth; every year we spend the entire holiday season thinking "Is this the last year?"

So far, it doesn't appear to have spread - he hasn't asked about Santa or the Tooth Fairy. Yet. Time will tell if he puts two and two together - I'm figuring he will, but he'll keep his mouth shut to get the loot... We'll continue the charade as long as BabyGirl G. believes; however long that will last, though, remains to be seen.

Another childhood milestone reached; another myth shattered on the floor like a dropped plate. In some ways, you want them to stay young and innocent forever; in others, it's a relief to know they're growing up, becoming more inquisitive and more resourceful in gathering information. I'm torn between sadness that my little baby boy no longer believes in the simple magic of the holiday and elation that he figured it out on his own in a mature manner.

In any case, buddy, the Easter Bunny is every bit as real as you want him to be.

That is all.

13 comments:

libertyman said...

Hey wait a minute -- NO Easter Bunny? Nobody told ME that!

Brad_in_MA said...

Jay,
My Progeny is a v*e*r*y savvy 8 1/2 years old . . . I fear the "where do babies come from" question is close at hand. I'll let you know how well that one goes.

Sigboy said...

You lie to your children? In all seriousness I had a huge dilemma on my hands when daddyhood struck. I really did not want to perpetrate( read lie about) all these myths. But can you imagine how much the other parents would have hated me?

Borepatch said...

I remember when this happened to my kids. Very bitter sweet when they lose their illusions.

Well, at least they still think their Old Man can do anything, Oh, wait ...

ASM826 said...

I always told mine that Easter Candy only came to true believers. Works with Santa, too.

Jay G said...

libertyman,

I was going to disavow the existence of the kindly oil change fairy in honor of Mrs. G., but thought better of it...

Brad,

I'm not looking forward to that talk, either.

Mostly because I'm going to have to rely on memory for most of it...

sigboy,

I don't think I could get through the day without lying to my kids...

("Daddy drinks because you cry", etc.) ;)

Seriously, though - I view it as a chance to talk to them about the basics behind the myths: living right, treating others kindly, etc. For the Easter Bunny, there's a pretty strong disconnect between "Jesus, the son of G-d died for our sins and was resurrected" and "a lagomorph brings you candy and small presents".

At least with Santa you can do the "we celebrate the birth of baby Jesus and Santa brings you presents"...

ASM826,

Oh, he got THAT talk alright. Especially in conjunction with the "if you tell your sister, you're gettng rabbit poop next year"...

Bitmap said...

My day is coming soon.

My #2 just lost another tooth and is trying to decide if he wants to leave it for the Tooth Fairy or keep it himself.

Weer'd Beard said...

Could be worse Jay, My Dad's 63 and he still belives Hope and Change are comming soon....

Brad_in_MA said...

I'm not looking forward to that talk, either.

Mostly because I'm going to have to rely on memory for most of it...

Jay,

You just slay me sometimes with your humor. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

{pause}

I just hope Mrs.G isn't a frequent reader of this very fine blog. [/shameless pandering]

- Brad

Andrew said...

The good news is that the Easter Bunny comes back to life as soon as he has kids of his own...

Christina RN LMT said...

Awww. Christmas stopped being fun for me the moment my kids stopped believing in Santa.

breda said...

"my little baby boy no longer believes in the simple magic of the holiday"Considering the miracle of the real Easter story, the bunny is small potatoes, magic-wise.

BillH said...

It was over in this family when one of the kids noticed Santa had a watch "just like Grandpa's!"

I quit believing in the POTUS a long time ago, but so far he hasn't vanished... what am I doing wrong?