Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gunnie Funnies...

Yesterday over at the Gunblogger Conspiracy (where all the cool kids hang out), I was recounting a humorous exchange from my recent new shooter outing:

The second firearm I offer my new shooters is my Smith & Wesson Model 422 .22LR semi-autoloader (first being the Smith & Wesson Model 17 .22LR revolver). It's currently wearing an inexpensive BSA red dot sight, which I carefully sighted in last month for just such an event. The Model 17 is accurate enough on its own; the 422 with the sight is a decent second choice.

One thing I've learned with new shooters is that they can be pretty darn competitive - if I toss up a standard target with bullseye/X-ring, I've had new shooters express disappointment if they fail to hit the "X" ring every time. Hell, *I* can't hit the "X" ring every time! I like to use a standard paper plate as the first target, with the goal for the new shooter to simply keep all shots on the paper plate. This removes the "bullseye focus" and gives an easier goal for the first time out.

So I hand off the 422 with red dot sight to my new shooter. I show her how to look through the sight, putting the red dot in the middle of the scope for targeting. It was a bright, sunny day, and acquiring the red dot took a little doing, so we turned the power up to maximum.

Well, for whatever reason, red dot sights go up to power setting 11. Without missing a beat, she turns to me and says, perfect deadpan,
"These go to eleven".


Heh. We lol'd...

That is all.

6 comments:

Christine G. said...

hee heeh.
you're talkin' bout me.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you put that video clip on there because otherwise I would have had no idea what you were talking about.

Jay G said...

amusings,

Heh. I thought you might like that bit...

Curt,

That's why I put the clip there. Not everyone's as big of a dork as I am...

Christina RN LMT said...

"This is Spinal Tap"...only one of the greatest movies of all time.

Bitmap said...

"I've had new shooters express disappointment if they fail to hit the "X" ring every time."

Too much tv and too many movies make people think you hit every time. Most new shooters are surprised at the recoil and noise level, too.

Anonymous said...

Aah.

I was a little busy in 1984 (stationed in Rota and deploying all over Europe and the Med) when the movie was popular here. I never saw it in the theaters and it just never struck enough of a chord with me (so to speak) to rent it. I've seen snippets over the years, but have never watched the whole thing.

Considering Rob Reiner's activism in recent years in support of pretty much everything I oppose, I'm not very likely to ever see it so I'll have to reserve judgment as to whether it's "one of the greatest movies of all time".