Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday Fun Thread: The Gauntlet Is Thrown Down!

Well, I was going to continue my stroll through the Big Three's best offerings this week, but the Munchkin Wrangler himself threw down a challenge via e-mail:
Jay,

Here’s a special request for your car feature…sort of a chronologically-restricted “Best Of”.

Assume that some day in the not-too-distant future, I’ll have a chunk of cash to spend on a vintage automobile. Further assume that I’d like to buy a car of the same vintage as myself.

What are your top picks for the year 1971? (Preferably cars that are at least somewhat available on the used market, no 100-unit special runs that’ll fetch more than a lakeside house on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Up to the challenge?

--Marko


Marko, for those of you who might not realize it, has a birthday coming up. He and I are born in the same year, so this is applicable to myself as well. I'll try to balance out the list between cars I'd like, cars I think Marko would like, and cars that might just possibly be affordable. 1971 is nearly 40 years old. Pristine cars from this time period are few and very far between; fixing up a beaten-down clunker can easily push the price well into the stratosphere. This will be a juggling act indeed...

I'm ready...


1. Porsche 911. How could I not include the pinnacle of German automotive design and engineering? The 911 has been one of my favorite cars for as long as I can remember. This would be one of the more expensive cars to collect and keep running, but boy would it be worth it...

2. Cadillac El Dorado Convertible. Everything about this car just screams decadence. It's 180 feet long. Has a turning radius measured in furlongs. Requires two men and a boy to open the door. And yet, imagine every head turning when you roll up to the local drive in night in a classic Caddy convertible. Bonus points if you have horns on the front and are wearing a white suit...

3. Mercedes 280 SL Convertible. The real beauty of the 280 SL is that, since it's a Mercedes, it's basically still running just the way it did when it rolled off the showroom floor in 1971. Of course, it's required a dedicated mechanic, a heated garage, and a side business selling dubiously-obtained organs to pay for everything, but when you want to look like Matt Houston, what are ya gonna do?

4. Oldsmobile Cutlass 442. Pristine examples of the rarer convertible version sell for around $40K, so this one isn't too far out of the realm of possibility. The Olds is a little less known than the Chevelle or the GTO, so demand's not quite as high (a '71 Chevelle in pristine shape is selling for nearly double). Less expensive options would be a plain-jane Cutlass or a non-SS Chevelle.

5. BMW 2002. Here's another one that's a lot of fun to drive and shouldn't be terrifically expensive to pick up in decent shape. The 2002s were BMW's unsung heroes; cars that quietly established BMW as a player in the "fast but comfy" niche long before anyone ever dreamed of a Lexus IS.

6. Dodge Challenger R/T. The R/T package might put the total cost outside of the budget for this exercise, but finding an entry level Challenger or Charger shouldn't prove too costly or difficult. Plus it's nice to have something that's a little out of the ordinary, and the big Mopar is certain to grab some looks, especially in Plum Crazy Purple or Hugger Orange.

7. XKE Jaguar. "And then I saw the Jag slide into the curve" Ah, yes, the ill-fated XKE Jaguar, the lone Brit car on the list. I just couldn't picture Marko contorting his Germanic frame into an MG or a Morris, and there was just something plain wrong about a little Triumph Spitfire...

8. Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. For less than the cost of a new Camaro, you could have a fully restored Stingray or an unmolested version. The fiberglass body holds up over the years better than the other offerings, so finding one that looks bad but only needs a little work shouldn't be too hard. Plus it's not like there aren't about a hundred bazillion places to find aftermarket parts for Vettes or the Chevy 350...

9. Toyota Landcruiser. How much you'd care to spend on a Landcruiser basically depends on how much bondo you want to put in - or take out - of it. There's nothing quite like open air fun in the summer and hardcore four wheelin' in the winter, so this would be a practical vehicle as well as something fun. At least that's how I'd pitch it to Robin...

10. Ford Bronco. Of course, if I'm going to include the foreign four-wheeler I have to include the American counterpart... The Bronco hadn't yet ballooned out to monstrous proportions to keep up with the Blazer in '71, so it's still a small, lightweight off-road demon with a removable roof. Eminently fun, and mostly practical.


So there's my list of possible project cars and/or midlife crisis acquisitions. There's a little something for everyone, from land yachts to off-road trucks to sporty European runabouts. What cars can you think of to add to Marko's conundrum?

And Marko, what do you think? Did I meet the challenge?

That is all.

20 comments:

notDilbert said...

The problem with choice #1 is that in 1971 there were subtantial differences between the various flavors ( E, T & S ) and it was still using the 2.2 liter engine. In 72 the engine increased to to 2.4 liters. The 72 911S is the one to look for ( but really good ones approach 6 figures) and stay away from the Targa versions ( the S was only available as a coupe) as they had too much flex.

If pressed to stay with the 71 model year, I'd select a 914/6, used the same engine as the 911T but in a much lighter mid-engined car..... the only problem is that probably less than 100 real ones still exist. ( but again big $ for a good one and watch out for the fakes useing converted 914/4's)

Similar issues with the XKE's as they were still using plenty of Lucas electrics and had serious rust issues. Good ones are expensive and the rest of them are just money pits.

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,

Nice grouping. Glad to see the venerable Olds 442 on the list as that has always been a particular favorite of mine.

- Brad

Bob said...

My own preference in the Mopar line for 1971 is the Plymouth Roadrunner, as I've mentioned before. I'd have a hard time not listing that as my all-time favorite Mopar, as far as that goes. I'm a sucker for that goggle-shaped grill.

Weer'd Beard said...

What, no AMC Pacer?

Those can't be commanding much on the used market...

Anonymous said...

Chrysler Imperial. Nothing like driving around in an aircraft carrier.

MaddMedic said...

1971?
Pups!!
'57 Chev baby!
Now that's vintage!!
err old too I guess!
Like me!!

Anonymous said...

Land Rover: Range Rover Classic (started in 1970), or Series IIA or III.
http://www.eastcoastrover.com has many great pictures, and do really nice work.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/tableseries.html
http://www.eastcoastrover.com/tableRR.html

I TOTALLY lust after an old Defender 90/100/110 and/or a Series II/IIA/III.


Word verification: Bling . How fitting

Paul, Dammit! said...

My first car was a 70's El Dorado. It was a POS by the time I got it, but it was still great for taking out eight close friends.

#4 I've got in my garage, metallic gold, original except for what's under the hood. I scare the birds out of the trees when i turn the key. She's for sale, if anyone's interested!

Jay G said...

Jesus, don't tempt me like that, Paul...

YoelB said...

I agree about the 2002 with this caveat: oddly enough for a Bavarian car, the heater/defroster makes it uncomfortable and compromises visibility in snowy conditions. At least that was true for my stepfather's.
Also: best with oil change every 2000, tuneups more frequent than modern cars, not cheap to do even when it was new. Drinks premium. All that said: way ahead of its time and an absolute blast to drive. Carries 4 adults with luggage, good in the twisties...
And why not go for the tii?

libertyman said...

I think 1971 was a low in automotive craft. I love the Jaguar, but it was ruined by then. Emissions and bumper regulations were just work arounds on old platforms. I can't think of a 1971 anything I would really want.

Will said...

Frankly, the most notable thing about '71 vehicles here in the US is that was the last year for serious horsepower from the factory. Also, the public listed hp for the hipo engines was very understated. Example: My '71 Mustang was listed as 370hp. (got hit with a 20% insurance surcharge for "excessive HP" when the agent looked up the "J" in the VIN#) NHRA rated it at 475hp. Mach 1 with a 429 SCJ (super cobra jet). Came with ram air and a Detroit Locker 4.11 rear. Ford built 500 to qualify for racing, but I'm not sure if that was just total number of engines, or 500 Mustangs. (Engine also came in the Torino, and possibly others). Last I saw, the car was valued at approx $40K with the 4spd. Mine had the rare as hens teeth Fairbanks modified, factory installed C6 auto. Estimated to double the value. Wish I still had it!
BTW, the 914 Porsche was considered to be a cheap throwaway, about the same as the later 924. No one thought of them as real Porsches. I wasn't a Porsche aficionado, and even I knew that. (Had a '62 Alfa Spider)

At least you have some good choices in '71. Never thought about looking for a '52 whatever. Not sure there's anything good that year. Maybe an F-86 Sabre?

Will said...

BTW, that Mustang got about 11mpg on the freeway, and 5 around town. Not bad compared to my prior '57 Chevy ragtop that got maybe 2mpg! (Seriously breathed-on big block, could yank the front wheels off the ground)

perlhaqr said...

'71 GTX. 4 speed, Hemi. Triple black. (Ok, not actually a good color scheme for out here in NM.)

What Bob said. It's the front bumper that does it.

Caleb said...

Hey! The Lexus IS250 series! I own one of those, and it is the berries.

notDilbert said...

Will.....

You're right, you're not a Porschephile.

The 914/6 was a very different car from the 4 cylinder version. The 6 was built on the same assembly line as the 911's and it used alot more 911 content than the 4's. Race prepared versions won the under 2.5 liter classes at Daytona and Sebring and many SCCA races.

I can understand the lack of familarity, since just over 2400 914/6's were built compared to some 160,000 914/4's

Sort of like the difference between a GT350 Mustang and the "secretary 6".

Ross said...

Add in a '71 Buick Skylark... with a 455 motor. Talk about a sleeper! My girlfriend's father had one. Man, was taht fun!

And I can definitely agree with Tennessee Budd - my dad had a '70 Imperial LeBaron 4-door for years. I never quite forgave him for trading it in for ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS without letting me know first that he was thinking of a new car. 440 4-bbl, leather bench/buckets (yeah, you could fit 3 in the front seat, but you also didn't need the back seat on dates if you get my meaning!), built in AM/FM 8-track with FOUR speakers (Hey, this IS 1971 we're talking about here!), hideaway headlights...

Man, I still miss that car. Never did find out what the top end was, but it was somewhere over 120.

Anonymous said...

914? Oh, yeah, the VolksPorsche.
Wow, I didn't even catch that the first time around.

Kim said...

Others for 1971:
Datsun 240Z Series I
Lotus Europa S2
Triumph TR4

...but I'd go for the BMW 2002 or Merc 280SE or SL before any others.

Incidentally, 1971 was my graduation year from high school.

Punk kid.

Will said...

notDilbert...
I stand corrected. The only Porsche I recall seeing in the early '70s was a 911T at my father's body shop. Vague memory of two 3-barrel Webers? Owner wouldn't sell. Never knew the 914 had a 6cyl option. Wasn't 'til I came out to CA in'77 that I began to see Porsche on a regular basis. Considered buying a 928 a couple times, but the insurance was astronomical. Don't know why. They wanted 2-3x what the car cost per month. Worked with an engineer that had a SBC shoehorned into a 911. Complained about short clutch life! Got a friend with an '87 911 Carrera. Last year for air cooled, I think.
.
Speaking of AMC Pacers, a few years ago, some gangster carjacked one! Think it was used in a bank robbery? THAT tells me NO class of vehicle is safe from crime.

wv: dealogr... sounds like a used car salesman