Tuesday, December 8, 2009

MArooned Product Review: Pistol Pouch

Shortly after posting about receiving the e-mail from LaserLyte about testing out their RSL laser sights I got another e-mail. It was a "friend of a friend" sort of thing, a gentleman who does some impressive leather-working who started his own business and has branched out into the concealed carry arena. Dennis, the owner, cook, and chief bottle-washer of Dragon Leather Works, was looking for something "outside the box", as it were, and designed a holster that takes cues from the leather holsters of days gone by.

And thus, the Pistol Pouch was born:

Pistol Pouch

The design is very simple and clean, with no militaristic overtones or tacticool gadgets or accessories. In fact, this is almost a steampunk holster, given that it hearkens back to the US Cavalry and the Colt SAA holsters that would be cinched shut to prevent the wheelgun from falling out when ridden hard in the saddle. That imagery is quite fitting, as this holster looks like it would be right at home on a motorcycle.

The leather work is quite impressive, and looks like it will take years and years of abuse without dropping a stitch, popping a rivet, or even fading. The leather is thick, built to withstand pretty much anything an active gunnie could dish out and then some.

Here's a look inside the holster:

Inside the holster

Yes, that leather really is as thick as it looks. There is quite literally nothing flimsy about this holster. "Overbuilt" would be a good word to describe it, and that is a very good thing - this isn't going to collapse at the first sign of stress.

Here's a couple of shots of a Browning BDA-380 inside the holster:

BDA-380 from the side

BDA-380 from the top

And finally, here's the holster being modeled by your humble host:

Pistol Pouch in action

I know, I know; I'm not about to give up the day job to become a holster model...



Now that you've seen the Pistol Pouch, here's my review. This is one well-made holster. I've seen (and done) a fair amount of leather work in my time, ranging from crudely put-together sweatshop rejects to top-notch pieces that cost more than some cars I've owned (which, given the clunkers I drove in college and grad school, isn't really saying too much...). The Pistol Pouch is one of the most durable-looking pieces I've had the pleasure of inspecting, made from saddle leather and put together with more rivets than your average Korean automobile...

The toughness of the leather led to one of my two concerns about this holster. The thickness of the leather, while providing a level of protection for the firearm that's hard to beat, makes for some sharp corners clearly visible around the flap and the cutout for firearm access. Dennis assured me that this was a prototype model and that all commercial units will have chamfered edges to address this issue. The other concern had to do with the latch and how easy it may (or may not) be to open under duress; however this is an issue that, for the moment, rests with the lawyers rather than the guys that make (and sell) stuff...

The last thing I'd like to touch on is the actual status of this holster in the CCW arena. Living in the Volksrepublik of MA, I doubt I'd wear this sort of holster very much out of concern that it might be identified as a holster, thus conceivably opening me up to an open carry charge. States like TX or FL that specifically preclude open carry might consider this to be an open carry holster, and it might be advisable to check with local authorities if you're not certain of the laws/attitude in your state/county/local area.

That said, for hiking, camping, any sort of activity that involves the great outdoors (and the four - and two- legged predators), this is an outstanding holster. It protects the firearm from jostling loose; it keeps it out of the elements; yet it's right there at your side like an open holster. For states that allow concealed carry and open carry, it looks like it would be just about the perfect thing to support both. While the gun itself is concealed, the holster is now; as such, it plants a foot in both worlds and brings them just a little closer together. And, not for nothing, in the realm of leather holsters this is an outright steal. When you consider that you get a choice of colors for the leather and a holster that can take lots of punishment, it's quite the bargain.

I like this holster quite a bit, and am pleased to give it an enthusiastic thumbs-up for superior workman, clever design, value, and durability.

That is all.

Obligatory FTC Disclaimer: Dragon Leather Works provided one Pistol Pouch to the proprietor of this blog for review.

15 comments:

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,

Given your concern about using the pouch for CCW, you could always have it do double-duty as your very own "man-purse". [/runs]

word verify --> totey

- Brad

Weer'd Beard said...

We both know a certain somebody who would REALLY like one of those.

Weer'd Beard said...

"Living in the Volksrepublik of MA, I doubt I'd wear this sort of holster very much out of concern that it might be identified as a holster, thus conceivably opening me up to an open carry charge."

Not to pick nits, but there is no such charge. I think we both know we can be "Charged" with "Bad Judgment" and have our permits revoked or not-renewed simply for CARRYING a gun, open or otherwise.

Still it looks like a binocular or a camera case (I've had one of each of similar design) so I doubt it would "Out" you.

I just wouldn't wear it to a party or get-together where mixed company might be friendly enough to ask what that lovely case on your hip contains...but not friendly enough to hear the real
answer.

Still I think I agree with you that it looks like an awesome camping and hiking holster. I wonder if he'd make one for the Ruger Alaskan and leave some room for some .454 Casull speed strips.

(ok they call the "QuickStrips"
http://www.tuffproducts.com/home.php?cat=265&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=2

Be good bear-and-anything-smaller medicine!

elmo iscariot said...

Aww, man...

Perfect thing for renfair carry.

Jay G said...

Elmo,

Yep.

:D

Broozter said...

It needs a NIKON sticker.

elmo iscariot said...

Wonder if he'd make one for a Philadelphia Deringer...

Dragon said...

Hello all,

Dennis here, from Dragon Leatherworks. I need to personally thank Jay G for the honest and upfront review. I'm seriously thrilled that he liked it enough to actually do a review. :-)

As for making these for specific guns...yes, I'll make one to fit anything, with an upper limit of size being a Glock 19 or 23 (the actual dimensions can be found on Glock's site). Reason being, if I try to make one to fit something the size of a 1911, the thing won't be a somewhat inconspicuous holster, but instead will be a small valise hanging off your side.

That said, if anyone still would wish a quote on a larger-than-currently-offered holster, simply go to the website and take the contact info, then send me a tracing of the gun via snail mail.

And as for the Derringer, I would LOVE to make a smaller pouch, as I have t he jigs for it, but haven't had a chance to make one. Again, send me a tracing, and I'll let you know if its do-able.

Lastly...I can't put a Nikon sticker on it due to trademark infringement, but that doesn't mean that the *purchaser* can't decorate the outside with things that will make it seem more like a camera case. I was thinking more along the lines of an old Polaroid emblem, as those camera's actually came in a case that looked alot like the Pistol Pouch does.

Thanks again Jay!!

Regards,

Dennis

www.dragonleatherworks.com

elmo iscariot said...

"And as for the Derringer, I would LOVE to make a smaller pouch, as I have t he jigs for it, but haven't had a chance to make one. Again, send me a tracing, and I'll let you know if its do-able."


I dearly wish I had a Philadelphia Deringer and could carry concealed in my state, but unfortunately for us both, I was only kidding. Just trying to figure out the right sidearm for a trip to the renaissance fair. ;)

Paul, Dammit! said...

It's definitely borderline 'man-purse' size, but considering what's in there, and what it's for, I'm OK with that, as it's also not recognizably a holster to the general public. I like the simple lines.

Weer'd Beard said...

"It needs a NIKON sticker."

I would TOTALLY do that. Talk about hidden in plain sight!

Anonymous said...

How can we believe you are a model if you are not smiling and looking at your watch like the J.C. Penney's ads?

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

Jay, I have the opposite concern. I wouldn't use this holster without a CHP - it disguises the gun enough it would probably be considered concealed carry in most states.

I bet you're right, though. I'm sure MA would call it "open carry" just to be evil about it.

Unknown said...

Intriguing...

That is VERY close to an idea I've had for a while for what you could call "Man Saddle Bags" for a very bad lack of a better term.

The idea I had was the fact that men have straight legs, as opposed to the broad hips that women have.

So to create a collection of squared hard leather pouches that provide the utility that purses provide for women but with a much more masculine appearance. Something that doesn't shout metrosexual.

And I had the idea of having some models with a holster. Looks like this guy's work is pretty darn close to my vision.

I might have to place an order...

Anonymous said...

For all you guys worried about
Purse syndrome, simply go to
any construction site and look
at what are known as "Tool Pouches"
and holsters.