Friday, January 1, 2010

Nine Years...

Nine years ago today, I smoked my last cigarette. In the cabinet over my refrigerator, there's an unopened pack of Marlboro Lights, the brand I smoked before I quit. I left one pack in the cabinet so that I would be reminded that I quit on purpose, of my own volition, as opposed to "because I was out" or "I smoked 'em all" or anything like that. I had to prove that I was stronger than the nicotine.

Even today, nearly a decade later, I still have "The Dream" from time to time (those of you non-smokers, ask a quitter sometime. The smokers know "The Dream"). I still find myself in situations where I reach for the lighter I haven't carried in nine years; I still find myself thinking "I should go out for a smoke" some days...

Then I look at the $8/pack or $65/carton price and thank Gaia I quit...

That is all.

7 comments:

libertyman said...

Good for you, you should be proud. By the way, that $8.00 a pack not spent adds up to shooting fun quickly now.

Eric Shelton said...

I'm at about 4 months, myself, on my second (and final) quit. Congratulations, Jay.

Sevesteen said...

After quitting many times, I finally came to the conclusion that I can never smoke again, or I'll quickly go back to pack-a-day. The occasional smoking dream I have isn't how great a cigarette is, but "OMG I'm smoking again!!! "

West, By God said...

I did the same thing, only I kept an entire carton for the first month or two... then I gave it to a broke-ass friend of mine. I kept one half-smoked pack in the garage until I finally decided to pitch it (when I was cleaning out my garage) after not having smoked for over a year. I'm almost to year 2 now, and have no desire what-so-ever to smoke again, except for maybe 1 or 2 cigars a year (you saw me smoking one of my two 2009 cigars for instance.)

Anyway, congrats on keeping quit... but you really quit on new years? Like a new years resolution? Wow. I've had at least 20 different friends try that (most of them more than once.) All failed.

Anonymous said...

With the new foul tasting self dieing cigarettes now on the store shelves many may follow your example.
Damn shame I can't even buy bulk tobacco and roll my own. Senate Bill S1147.
I'm glad for quitters, but at 68 I sure would like a choice.

See Ya

Michael W. said...

Good on ya Jay!

I quit 25 years ago, never looked back. One of the toughest things I did.

For the better part of a year any time I saw someone smoking, I wanted to snatch it out of their hand and eat it, fire and all. -grin-

tjbbpgobIII said...

Still a pack of unfiltered Camels in my case, since 1994.