Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday Gun Pr0n #149

Continuing the tradition of posting gun pr0n from readers, here's a picture featuring a fine firearm being wielded by a fine gentleman:

Smith & Wesson Model 19 in action

That's Ross, someone I'm proud to call friend, a fellow MA gunnie who has attended a bloggershoot or two over the years. He's a commenter over at the Northeastshooters forum, which is where I first met him; over the years we've gotten together at various shoots, gun shows, and even the S&W Factory tour. I'll let Ross explain the picture:

That was taken at The Village Idiot Fundraiser Shoot. The gun is a Smith & Wesson Model 19 with a 4" bbl, manufactured in 1970. I purchased it in 1981 at a gun shop in Bayonne, NJ. The shop owner told me it was a cop's gun that had been sent in for a trigger job but while it was being worked on, the cop decided to retire and told the smith to put it in the showcase. Price? $150, plus $10 for a set of Siles grips (to this day I despise the "square butt" grip style...).

I sold it in 1994 or so to my best friend (he was there when I bought it and asked me if I ever sold it to call him first) because I had just gotten into semi-autos and got tired of cleaning SIX chambers. Hey, I was young and stupid... After about 5 years I realized I wanted it back. It took me TEN YEARS to talk my friend into selling
it back to me - traded a 4" Mod 66 to him for it, too. I don't care - she's MINE again, and I will not part with her until after I no longer have a need for any firearm. My will has it going to my favorite nephew, and that's the only way I'll part with her ever again... when I'm dead.

I love that picture - a Jew smokin' a stogie touching off a .357 Magnum round from his prized revolver. That's America right there, folks. The story just makes it that much better, and the fact that it's a venerable S&W Model 19? Well, that's just the icing on the happy gunnie cake.

Thanks for sending it along, Ross!

That is all.

3 comments:

Bob said...

I can just picture him taking that see-gar out of his mouth and saying with a grin, "I love it when a plan comes together!"

dmurray said...

I quit chasing another four inch K frame around a while ago. Bill Jordan had it right about those guns in my opinion. Would that training had been funded instead of all that silly hardware over all these years.

Ross said...

Uh... I actually have been known to use that phrase!