Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Barnum Was an Optimist...

I think suckers are born faster than once a minute...

Man sells old video game for $31,600 after reading CNN.com
(Mental Floss) -- While reading a story on this site about rare video games, Tanner Sandlin of Austin, Texas, recognized one of the games -- Air Raid for the Atari 2600. He found the thirteenth known copy of the game in his garage and put it on eBay.

It sold last Sunday for $31,600, the second-highest price ever paid for a video game.

Wrap your mind around that. The price of a mid-level sedan for a thirty year old video game - not even intact. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it shouldn't be legal or anything - this isn't a "there oughta be a law" thing - just that some people have too much disposable income, apparently. Doesn't mean I think it's wrong, or should be outlawed, or even taxed - just means I think some people have priorities different than mine...

Of course, I could just be jealous because, according to this, I lost about a half a million dollar's worth of video games when my basement flooded in 2000...

That is all.

10 comments:

DaddyBear said...

That's nothing, my mother threw out my retirement when she cleaned out my closet while I was in Basic. All those video game cartridges could have let me live a life of leisure. Thanks Mom!

bluesun said...

My mom read stories like this, and now refuses to let me get rid of my old pokemon cards. Yes, I know. I was in middle school when they were started up, and all the cool kids were doing it--so shoot me.

Jay G said...

{cries}

My son and daughter are into Pokemon cards...

ASM826 said...

On the other hand, if it was $31,000 for an eighty year old hunk of metal and wood, we would shrug and say it was a pretty good deal, how much belted ammo was included?

Stretch said...

I came home from 1st year college to have Mom tell me "I cleaned out your junk."
Yup, 1960s vintage comic books. Sgt. Rock, Blackhawk, plus the usual Super Heroes.

Angry Patriot said...

Oh...

My...

Gawd...

I think I have River Raid somewhere in an old box in the crawlspace...we had an Atari when I was growing up, and I'm hoping that I didn't toss the old crap when we last cleaned it out a few years ago.

Now I gotta go look....

bluesun said...

@ Jay

You're being surrounded by young folks!

...

Hey, do you think you want to buy some pokemon cards? I'll sell my mother's retirement away!

Christina RN LMT said...

DAMMIT!
I gave all my Atari games and the console to the neighbor kid when I was "grown up". Fuck.

Christina RN LMT said...

Oh, and my college-age daughter (Hi, Silverevilchao!) STILL collects Pokemon cards. And won't let me get rid of her Beanie Babies. *sigh*

Old NFO said...

Ouch...