Friday, December 17, 2010

Friday Gun Pr0n #194

Got a special Friday gun pr0n today. This was sent to me by good friend Dennis, he of Dragon Leatherworks fame. He'd been toying with the idea of getting a 1911, being a plastic fantastic kind of guy up until he shot my Gold Cup (heh), and finally took the plunge and crossed over from the dark side. He got this gun:



It's a Desert Eagle (no cracks about "Deagle", please, this is the man's first 1911) 1911 G ( and no, I don't know what the G stands for). I'll let Dennis tell you all about her:
For your viewing pleasure...no, I haven't been to the range yet. Too frapping cold, and folks are still hunting the land, so during firearm season for deer, we don't shoot at the range.

It came in last Tuesday. Got the info from the FFL and ran over to the County Judge's office to have my CCW amended and this one added to it. Got the call Monday that the amendment was signed off by the judge, and was ready to be picked up. Went Tuesday (yesterday) to get the amended CCW and purchase coupon, ran back to the FFL and picked it up.

...

Anyways...thats all I've got for you guys so far. Range report will follow in a few weeks, after I come back from the break-in day.

Oh, almost forgot...the pictures! Stainless barrel, stainless guide rod (full length, BTW) and stainless grip safety. Trigger is aluminum. Walnut grips, nicely checkered. Frame and slide are blued, NOT Parkerized. Mags hold 8 rounds, so I could technically do 8+1.

I GOT ME ONE! :-)
That sounds like a happy man right there. Great pick-up Dennis!

That is all.

9 comments:

Dragon said...

Magnum Research has two offerings in their 1911 platform, a full-size "G" model (5.055" barrel) and semi-compact "C" model (4.33" barrel)...the C model would be somewhere between a Springfield EMP and a full 1911 in size.

Dragon

Jay G said...

[slaps self upside head]

"G" for "Government".

Dur...

libertyman said...

Dragon -- you have to get a sign off from a Judge to buy this? Where do you live? Cuba?

ZerCool said...

Liberty: Dragon and I both live in the PDR of NY.

It's not perfect, but it's home.

libertyman said...

ZerCool -- I understand. Let's resolve to work on getting rid of these onerous restrictions throughout the country.

Dragon said...

Close...New York. Upstate, not the city, which for all intents bans handgun ownership. NY State prohibits even *touching* a handgun unless properly licensed...ie: go into a store to shop for a handgun, and before they even think of opening up the display and showing you one, you have to produce your Carry License.

More on the 1911G...

Out-of-the-box: Lateral slide play is less than a MilSpec 1911 Colt. Radial play is the same. Trigger breaks at just *under* 4 pounds. Creep is non-existant. Sights are larger than government combat (ie: not the thin and low bladed sights) but they aren't dotted / night sights. Barrel, guide rod, and grip safety are stainless.

Planned upgrades are a laser-equipped guide rod, and night sights. Purely aesthetic upgrade will be a set of python skin grips to match the python-skin holster I'm building for her for when I go to free states like Vermont and New Hampshire. The NE Bloogshoot is only 8 - 9 months away, and I gotta make sure that the holster is done by then. :-)

So, like any passionate gunnie with new iron in the stable, I called in sick today. Getting my arse out to a local indoor range (my members-only range is still off limits for two more weeks while hunting season is open) to run a couple-hundred through her this morning.

Report to follow his week-end. :-)

Jay G said...

MA is the same way with permits, Dragon - you can't handle a gun without one.

Only in MA it goes for long guns, too...

Dragon said...

A thought just hit me, Jay...

We have BoyG and GirlG...MomG and JayG...

You gotta see where I'm going with this.... ;-)

You need the 1911G...

::stretches:: Yep...my work here is done. :-)

Teke said...

Congrats and welcom to the dark side.

Being from one of the more free states in regards to firearms it pains me when I read the steps you guys have to take to make a purchase for carry.

I picked up a new shotty last weeek during luch. Wen't with a few in mind. Made my choice filled out the paperwork and was done in 5 minutes. New family member in hand.