Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday Gun Pr0n #197

Today's gun pron comes to us courtesy of Wally, blogshoot and blogdinner attendee, purveyor of fine toys, and wizard of the weld. There's something odd about it, though, I just can't put my finger on it.

It's an AK, right?

Er, Wut?

Hmmm. Maybe this one will help:

Still something off

Ah. Let's put it next to a known AK variant:

Waitasecond

Um. That's not a plain AK, is it?

Here, I'll let Wally explain what it is:

I had some quiet time (YAY!) in the shop today and finished up the AK-54R. Haven't shot it yet but I am thinking a welding mask may be in order :) Hope-a you
like!!!!

During a recent audit of the arms room, it was noticed that there was nothing in 7.62x54R, nor anything with a blade bayonet. There was an old Russian scope in the
corner, and half a bottle of stain left over from when dad and I built his rifle some twenty years ago.

A few months ago I finished my first AK build and was delighted with how it came out. With AK on my mind, I set off to address the issues noted above. The wheels were in motion - a 7.62x54R AK would be fun, eh? Why not go for a complete clone of an AK and have a real sleeper?

So here's the result. It's mostly a PSL with a few AKM parts mixed in. I can't wait to get to the range. The 16.5" barrel should prove entertaining!

I want one of these so bad it hurts...

That is all.

8 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

OMG FLAME THROWER!!!!

Wow that looks like TONS of fun. And on that I wouldn't Jeer Jay for his rubber sissy-pad. I suspect the skinny little AK stock will make quite a tattoo after a mag-dump of 180gr '54R.

A poor-man's paratrooper battle-rifle!

Caleb Oosten said...

Too cool.

Tam said...

That looks like fun. :)

Jay G said...

I've already put my order in for a MA compliant version when he decides to make one...

SpeakerTweaker said...

Weer'd nailed it. Muzzle flash should be visible from orbit.

It looks like a bona-fide bruisemaker, too, but it's likely the most fun a masochist is gonna have with his/her clothes still on. Put me down for one!



tweaker

Stretc h said...

"I want one of these so bad it hurts..."
The operative word being "hurts." That thing is gonna dislocate shoulders, sear eyeballs and bring down small aircraft with the muzzle blast.
Ya, I want one too.

Anonymous said...

ohh, I want a short barreled PSL!!!

Anonymous said...

Let's see...I want to shoot an M38/M44 or M91/59 carbine semi-auto and lose the several seconds between bolt action shots that allow my shoulder to say "Hey guy, callous needs time to grow! I'm hurtin' here!".

The last time I engaged in such extended masochistic firing of my M44, the bruise was visible from orbit too.

Invest in a recoil pad for one of these puppies. Or have fun at the range and switch out the 7.62x39 AK for one of these with the shooter who thinks the AK is so cool. After the second shot they'll be handing it back.

I'd get one. I like the Russian "beat you on both ends" cartridge that is the 7.62x54R.