Monday, January 3, 2011

MArooned Product Review: LaserLyte Training Target TLB-1

I mentioned about a month ago getting a LaserLyte Training Target TLB-1, and got a chance to play with it put it through it's paces over the winter break. I've already reviewed the LT-PRO, finding it to be a marvelous training tool for dry firing practice (and the new caliber-specific Laser Training System looks even easier to use!). It's falling-off-a-log simple - if you can use the LT-PRO (or the Laser Training system), you can use the training target. Insert LT-PRO, turn target on, dry-fire at target.

Like this:



Simple, isn't it? The target was about 15 feet away and a Colt Officer's 1911 was used for the shooting. A .45 ACP snap cap was used (make sure there's no live ammo anywhere near where you're dry-firing!) and the LT-PRO laser trainer was inserted as per the instructions. The target was shot seven times, with four shots at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions to illustrate the individual "hits" and a three-round group in the center to demonstrate resolution.

There are a couple minor drawbacks. If there are too many "hits" in the same area, the Training Target and it won't register all of them - it's best to reset after every 5-7 shots. Granted, this isn't a scoring target - the entire usable area is only 6" across, so any hit is going to work for defensive training. Also, the 1" reset target can be a little challenging at distance (at least for the more aim-challenged...).

When used for simple plinking at home or defensive training, this is a great set-up. I had the unit sitting on the fireplace mantel and was practicing drawing and shooting from seated, laying, and walking positions - and then I sat down at the computer, left the target on, and would randomly take shots at it as the mood struck (mental note: order another set of .45 ACP snap caps!). It's excellent at providing instant gratification while training, and since it makes dry-firing far more productive and fun, you're far more likely to do it more often. This is just the thing to make you want to dry-fire practice, and that's a great thing.

The LaserLyte Training Target can also be a valuable tool for training new shooters - you can set it up anywhere and let a novice practice stance, grip, trigger pull, and sight picture in the comfort of their own home (and without using pricey ammo!) They get a feel for the operation of the firearm in all stages of shooting - loading (snap caps), aiming, and firing - and get to see hits on target just like at the range. And they can do it without eyes and ears and others on the firing line. It's an excellent addition to a training regimen for new shooters.

The LaserLyte TLB-1 Training Target is a powerful training tool indeed.

That is all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My one and only complaint with the TLB-1 is any sort of power indicator. Just a little LED next to the power switch to remind me to turn it off when I'm done would be nice. I may actually add one to mine myself.
Other then that I think it's a great addition to my training arsenal, and as a pistol intructor I'm also thinking of using it with new shooters.

Freiheit said...

Somewhat OT, would you let your kids dry fire against this target? What about novice shooter as prep for their first range trip?

zeeke42 said...

"I sat down at the computer, left the target on, and would randomly take shots at it as the mood struck"

That would make me nervous safety wise. I dry-fire in an area separate from my daily activities, and take the targets down when I'm done. I'd be worried about doing just one more rep after I'd decided I was done and reloaded.

I'm sure you're safe, but I'd probably insert a safety note for shooters less experienced than yourself

Jay G said...

Mopar,

A little LED would be a great addition - now that you mention it, that's a great idea.

Freiheit,

Absolutely. This set-up allows for every facet *except* the actual bang to be taught and observed. The gun can be loaded just like at the range (snap caps are recommended); the shooter's stance, grip, and safety can be observed; and the new shooter (adult or child) can fire at a target and score hits just like at the range, only in the privacy of your own home.

Zeeke,

That is a good point - I did take the target down before I removed the LT-PRO from the Colt. That's my "cue" for "don't pull the trigger any more" - when I remove the laser trainer from the barrel of the gun. With the new training rounds, it would be upon ejection of the laser trainer.

We have to take extra precautions any time we dry-fire a firearm; the Training Target can actually reinforce this - when you turn the Target off can be your cue to mentally switch "off" your dry-firing mode.