Monday, January 31, 2011

Similar Vein...

Since I posted about a training course in my last post, I thought I'd get the ball rolling on something I've been kicking around since the beginning of the month. After spending part of the afternoon at Sig Academy, and seeing the magnificent facility they have in lovely Epping NH, I think I would like to take one of their training courses. I'm thinking specifically of the Handgun 102 course - I am fairly confident that I know all the material in their Handgun 101 course, but am not so sure I'm sufficiently advanced for the Handgun 103 course.

Other than my Basic Firearms Safety course that I took 17 years ago before getting my LTC, I've never had any formal training. It's long past time to remedy this significant deficiency in my readiness and preparedness plans, and having seen the facilities and the folks who staff Sig Academy, I'm confident that the training they will provide will be top-notch. Not to mention that Lissa seemed to really get a lot out of the class she took there. Add in that they're only about 45 minutes from me, and I'd use my P226 anyways, and it's a no-brainer to take this class!

So, who's in it with me? Anyone else interested in taking Handgun 102 sometime in the next few months? Sig Academy has classes roughly twice a month (click "Schedule" at the bottom of the Handgun 102 page), so we can pick a date that works for everyone once we have an idea who'd like to come. If there's a compelling reason to start with Handgun 101 - or to skip ahead to Handgun 103 - I'm more than willing to listen to it. I feel comfortable with my general gun-handling skills and knowledge of existing gun laws that the 101 course might be a little too introductory; I'm not so brash to think that my meager ability or "skill" puts me in the intermediate category needed for the 103 course.

Now, the big questions is, if I can get enough folks to sign up, can we get a group discount rate? :)

That is all.

17 comments:

Chad said...

I'm in, Jay.

Irish said...

I'm in too Jay.

Anonymous said...

Handgun 102 still seems awfully basic, even for you Jay. :)
Handgun 102 seems like pretty much everything demonstrated at bloggershoot and SHOULD be demonstrated every time you go to the range alone.
*Handgun Selection Considerations
*Support Equipment
*Shooting Basics - the Importance of Proper Grip, Sight Alignment, Sight Picture, Stance, Trigger Control and Follow Through
*Presentation of the Handgun from the Holster to the Target and Safe Recovery Back to the Holster
*Administrative and In-service Loading and Unloading Techniques
*Static Shooting Positions
*Cleaning and Maintenance

While I don't deny I'm sure I could take something away from this, I think I would like more learning and less refreshing.
Handgun 103 starts with a review of the basics:
*Review of handgun safety practices
*Review of successful shooting basics
and then moves onto the more advanced stuff.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I don't think I'm brash, or egotistical, or even a particularly great shot with a pistol. But being I'm a certified pistol instructor where I'm teaching others grip, stance, sight picture, and other things needed for a LTC, I sure hope I have a pretty good understanding of those kinda things myself.

Anonymous said...

Actually, 95% of Sig's handgun 102 seems to be covered by the NRA basic pistol class which most states require for a handgun permit.

JD said...

I was also looking at the 102 course Jay, so count me in. I was going to try to do 102, 103 then conceled this year if I can. . . I think I could get a lot of help from the 102 even though it still may be basic for me.

Any idea how many peopel we need to get them to do a class for us?

Bräuista said...

I think if I'm going to take the time and spend the $$, I'd like to take a more challenging course.

No doubt I would learn something no matter which course I took I like to get more bang for my buck . . . pun intended. :)

Chad said...

I dunno, Jay, I'm thinking mopar and Cher may be right

Jay G said...

Darnit, now y'all have got me to thinking...

Maybe the 103 course would be more the way to go - especially if it starts with a quick recap of 102 like it looks like.

Of course, there's nothing saying I can't do both in the year, too... ;)

Let's see how many folks are in, and which course they'd rather take, and then proceed accordingly.

Tam said...

I think one big determining factor would be "How much work have you done with a loaded gun from the holster?" Be honest with yourself when you answer that question.

Drawing and reholstering dozens of times during a training course when you haven't had a lot of experience with it before is how people shoot themselves in the leg.

Anonymous said...

If you're looking for a show of hands, I'm thinking yes on 103, no on 102. However, I'd suggest a quick email to your contact at Sig, maybe even point him here. I would sure be open to a more detailed course description/assessment.

JD said...

When we were there and I was talking to them about having owned and carried for a while I was pointed to the 102 for a start in the program instead of 101. . . not sure you can jump right to 103 or not. . . anyway let me know what folks are going to do

Eric said...

Handgun 102 is the shooting portion of HG101. It is all fundamentals. I think you would definitely take something away from it.

As Tam noted, if you are not comfortable working from a holster at progressively increasing speed than this is the class for you.

If you do have a solid foundation of the fundamentals of pistol shooting and are comfortable working from a holster than I could see HG102 being a little slow.

When I took it there were people who had never handled a gun before.

TOTWTYTR said...

The Sig Academy courses were good, but I took them almost 10 years ago so I'm sure they've changed since then.

I took a one day combat handgun class and then a one day night shooting class. The latter was done at their great indoor range, where they could control the lighting.

Oh, and even though I was carrying a Sig at the time, they told us that we could use any brand if we wanted to.

Depending on the timing I'd be interested in joining you.

Lissa said...

SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!! I think either the 102 or the 103 would work for you, Jay. I guess which one you pick depends on --

1) who's coming with you. There may be some shooters who are more 102-level.

2) how much you want to get out of 103. There's some process of acclimation -- getting used to how SIG does it, the feel of people shooting right beside you without lane barriers, moving while shooting, and reactive targets. Getting used to that in 102 allowed Mike and me to get the most out of our 103 class.

Either way, I know you'll have tons of knowledge-gaining fun!!

Anonymous said...

I'm in...but I'm going to use a "carry" gun.

JD said...

OK Jay, where did we end up on this?? Who is up for 102 class??