Monday, February 14, 2011

Cool Training Tool

I've talked before about the training aids available from LaserLyte, specifically the LT-PRO and the Training Target. Getting direct, immediate feedback from your practice, even dry fire, helps keep things interesting - and therefore you're more likely to do it. The LT-PRO provides a visual as to where shots are landing; the Training Target gives results similar to what you would get at the range.

LaserLyte has outdone themselves this time with their new caliber-specific Laser Training System:

Training Rounds

These showed up on my front porch late last week, and I took the weekend to try them out:

Laser Boolitts

No, the unit doesn't load through the magazine (you simply hand-load it into the chamber), but it looked pretty neat like that. Basically, you drop the unit into the chamber, close the slide, and dry fire to your heart's content. A red laser dot appears for a tenth of a second (literally!) marking where your shot would land. It's activated by a plunger that also serves as a snap cap:

Please clean me!

Here's the 9mm unit installed in my Sig P226 after ~ 100 "rounds" fired. Don't mind the filthy gun - that's part of another project I'm calling "Which Fails First: A Sig Or Jay's Pistol Cleaning OCD"...

The Training System works beautifully. The rounds are easy to load, dirt-simple to operate, and make dry-firing fun. Compared to the cost of .45 ACP, these are a bargain - LaserLyte claims some 3,000 "shots" before the batteries run out of juice. Plus it's so much more simple and easy to to install - and to be certain that it's balanced as it should be. This ought to be really good at sighting in scopes and red dot sights.

Laser Training System from LaserLyte: Even their bullets have lasers!

That is all.

5 comments:

Ross said...

While I can see how useful these would be with, say, a CZ-75 or a Walther PPK, they don't seem too useful with something like a 1911 or a Glock where you have to rack the slide after each trigger pull to get the trigger to reset.

And for revolvers... well... do you get a discount for 6 of them?

Note: I have one of the LaserLytes that fit in the barrel and it's great... but I wish I could use it in my 1.875" barreled Model 637. Perhaps they can figure out a way to shorten their barrel mounted units? That would be awesome.

Anonymous said...

I have dry fired my 1911s a lot.
All you have to do is release the trigger and cock the hammer to shoot again.
Slide racking is not required.

Jay G said...

Ross,

That's a common issue with any striker-fired gun though - yes, you do have to rack the slide to reset the trigger. It's still cheaper than going to the range - and doesn't require shoveling three feet of snow to get to the target hangers... :)

As for revolvers, well, that's a good question. They haven't come out with a rimmed model yet (althought a .22LR version would be AWESOME), and yes, you would either need 5/6/7 of them or simply get the laser dot for every 5th/6th shot. Would be a useful training tool for DA shooting, I think.

As for the 1911 comment, well, I'll chalk that up to the early morning hour and lack of coffee... Considering that the video I took of the Training Target was shot with a 1911... ;)

Jeremy said...

What would be really cool for those of us with revolvers is a 5 or 6 round unit that is entirely one piece, similar to revolver rounds held together by a moonclip. You'd just pop the whole thing into the J-frame and (dry)fire away. Maybe one of the "rounds" could just house batteries for the rest of the unit.

I'm sure it's fairly unfeasible, but that's my vision of what would be a cool version of this for revolvers. I'd love one for my 438.

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

Nice idea. I think they really need to be distinctively coloured - bright orange or safety green, or something - so they don't look so much like brass. I can already see someone accidentally putting a real round in the chamber thinking it's one of these lasers. Hopefully, that unfortunate person will still be observing Rules 1, 2, and 4 when that happens.