Thursday, February 24, 2011

Red Light Re-District...

PISSED sent me this story, and was curious as to my take on it:

Kansas House Approves Bill Allowing Motorcycles to Run Red Lights

Ever been itching to run a red light that just won't change? Kansas lawmakers think motorcycle riders should be able to do just that.

The Kansas House on Tuesday approved a bill that would allow bikers to run a red light if the signal "fails" to turn green after a "reasonable period of time." The proposal leaves the discretion in the hands of the motorcyclist, but is aimed at ensuring riders don't get trapped in perpetuity at intersections because of signals that either malfunction or don't detect the motorcycles.
I would imagine everyone that rides has come across a light or two that just won't change. You're faced with a conundrum: Do I sit here, hoping a car will pull up behind me and trigger the light? Do I change direction and approach this a different way? Run the light? When there's clearly no other traffic coming, it should be common sense that a motorcyclist should be able to go through a red light if it will not change for his vehicle. However, in many cases it can and will be cited as a motor vehicle infraction - and in this day and age of red light cameras it's easy to see why motorcyclists would like the exemption written into the law.

Is it possible some motorcyclists will abuse this? Well, not to be crude, but Darwin will quickly separate those motorcyclists from the rest - we'll call the rest "living motorcyclists". A motorcyclist who runs red lights without checking oncoming traffic is more commonly known as "Organ Donor A" or simply "the deceased". It's a self-correcting problem - once again, the folks that would run the light without looking will run it whether or not there's a ticket at stake, whereas guys like me who prefer to stay within the confines of the law will breathe easier knowing that should we finally traverse the intersection against the red light we're covered under the law.

I think this is a net positive step for motorcyclists.

That is all.

12 comments:

Guffaw in AZ said...

I've a good friend who rides. Many years ago, he found himself at an isolated intersection, red light, at 0300. No other vehicles, anywhere. He waited, moved his bike back-and-forth to try to get the sensor to pick up, to no avail. Of course, he finally ran the light, and was immediately pulled over and ticketed! Interesting to see this.

Anonymous said...

Hell, I've got a light by the house that often won't change for me, and I'm driving a full size pickup. I've sat there - no kidding - through 3 rounds of the opposite traffic stopping and going without ever giving me a green.

Can we get a similar rule for cars too? :-)

Dave H said...

When I ride, my position is that a traffic-controlled light that doesn't detect my bike is clearly malfunctioning, so I'll proceed after making sure the way is clear. (I haven't tried to argue that in traffic court yet, so we'll yet to see how convincing I can be.)

I agree rocket jocks who blow through a light without checking get what they deserve, but unfortunately they're not the only potential casualties. Other drivers trying to avoid them may end up involved in a crash.

Sean D Sorrentino said...

Don't the red light sensors work on magnetics? Can't you rig up a powerful magnet to the bottom of your bike to trip them?

I don't ride any more, but when I did, I always wondered about that. They didn't have rare earth magnets for sale quite so often back then.

Mike W. said...

Hell, I've sat at lights that just wouldn't change....and I went through when things were clear.

As for the idjits, if you're dumb enough to run lights on a motorcycle more power to ya. It'll keep The Stupid from breeding.

Butch Cassidy said...

1. Idiot running a red on a motorcycle can still ruin what is left of a pedestrian's life just as much as their own. And any cager hitting them now has a car in the shop with a trashed front end, trying to get payment for it from a dead guy.

2. "Reasonable amount of time." Sorry, not big on laws that are anything but crystal clear. Welcome to the world of may-issue citations depending on how much the local constabulary like crotch-rockets.

3. If a government thinks it is a big enough issue to legislate, why don't they fix the sensors to work regularly as with cars rather than continuing to use unreliable ones?

Sorry, but this law bugs me.

Dave H said...

@Sean: I've seen riders claim a big magnet (like from a magentic CB antenna) on the bottom of the bike frame will trip a reluctant sensor, but I've seen just as many who tried it and said it didn't work. YMMV.

I've had spotty luck by weaving as I rode across the sensor, but I stink at low speed maneuvering and I'd be too scared to try it where someone could see me fall over. (grin)

Angus McThag said...

Good first step. Next we need it for everyone who's stuck at a red light that's red for no damn reason at all.

Too many of those around here.

Skip said...

My buds have devices under their frames,tyrapped, that trigger the lights no prob.
Buy 'em at motorsiccle shops.

Jim said...

I've had fair luck with stopping directly over the sensor coil (if the sawcuts are visible), then turning the bike fully off at the key, followed by a restart.

The electical surge through the bike's ignition system and starter motor seems to trip the sensor, even when the bike's mass isn't enough on it's own.

Your mileage of course, may vary.


Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Galveston, TX

bogie said...

NH has had this law in effect for several years. Have used it to good use once.

Kinda like states not turning into the Wild West when gun laws are relaxed, there haven't been a whole mess of accidents caused by bikers that just couldn't wait.

Jay G said...

One of the "tricks" that has worked for me in the past is to actually put the bike down on the kickstand. It's along the same lines as the magnets - IIRC some of the sensors detect metal, and putting the bike down lower helps trigger those.