Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rule... Five?

SayUncle has a guest article up at Shooting Illustrated about not trying to catch a dropped firearm.

It's a great idea, but IMHO a tough habit to get out of - we're hard-wired to grab for something that falls out of our grasp. Unc's got a great point - when you're reaching for a falling firearm, you can't control where the muzzle points (Rule 3) and you might just get your finger on the trigger (Rule 2) which can lead to putting holes in things you don't want holes in. Like yourself. Yes, that expensive Blastomatic2000 might get a couple scratches and scuffs when it meets the ground courtesy of our old nemesis gravity, but scratches buff out and scuffs build character.

Having a couple blemishes on your heater beats the holy hell out of getting shot - or shooting someone else - accidentally...

That is all.

10 comments:

Freiheit said...

Theres an easy way to train for this.

Get one of those pistol bayonets and a blue gun and go play catch.

North said...

WHAT IS _WRONG_ WITH YOU??!?

It is the Blastomatic2011.


:-)

daeth said...

I learned to let things fall with one little incident.

It was when I was a co-op student, working at an electronics assymbly line. It involved a soldering iron.

Those get hot by the way ;). And the line on my hand stayed there for a few weeks.

I don't try to catch anything that could cause harm if dropped anymore.

Brad_in_IL said...

North,

Here in MA, the Blast-o-matic-2011 isn't on the Attorney General's approved list, nor has it passed the consumer protection testing. I can only buy up to a 1998 model of the Blast-o-matic, and only if it can be proven to have been in MA prior to 1998. {/spit}

- Brad

Bubblehead Les. said...

My father beat it into me to let non-living, inorganic things fall (which means Yes, you try to catch the baby, and No, don't grab the Chain Saw). It can be done, but it might mean you get a few scars on the Fingers breaking the Programing. I believe the reflex is tied into the Brain Stem as part of "Grab the Branch or You'll DIE when you Fall out of the Tree" Reflex. Hard work, though.

Dave H said...

So what do you think about trying to break its fall with your foot? I'm not quick enough to catch falling objects but I can usually get my foot under them in time to slow them down.

Although there was that time I knocked the scissors off the counter. I realized my foot was more valuable and dragged it to safety just as they stuck point-down into the floor.

Anonymous said...

You learn by doing sometimes. I no longer catch falling soldering irons, or chisels.

rremington said...

Uhhhh, you got the Rule numbers backwards...

ASM826 said...

Post reminded me of something that happened at our range.

http://randomactsofpatriotism.blogspot.com/2011/03/rule-five.html

Justin Buist said...

"It's a great idea, but IMHO a tough habit to get out of..."

I once took a Glock and dropped it over and over again on the carpet to get used to doing nothing when I see a gun falling. It might have helped. I don't know.

Thing is, I've got the reflexes of a sloth on thorazine so I'm not in much danger of actually making contact with a falling gun.