Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Training. Get Some!

Okay, the year's chugging along nicely. Over a month ago, I bandied about the idea of getting some folks together to take a training course at Sig Academy, seeing as how we got a good look at their impressive training facility during our tour there before the Third Annual Northeast Winter Social. We kinda got bogged down in a discussion over whether folks would rather take the Handgun 102 course or the Handgun 103 course, and never really followed up on it.

Mopar made some excellent points about the 102 class - most of us who would be going have covered a good 90% of the course material:
  • Handgun Selection Considerations
  • Support Equipment
  • Shooting Basics - the Importance of Proper Grip, Sight Alignment, Sight Picture, Stance, Trigger Control and Follow Through
  • Presentation of the Handgun from the Holster to the Target and Safe Recovery Back to the Holster
  • Administrative and In-service Loading and Unloading Techniques
  • Static Shooting Positions
  • Cleaning and Maintenance
Tam countered, though, with an admonition to be honest about how much time we've spent actually drawing a loaded firearm from a holster. I'll be frank - 95% or more of the training I've done has been with an unloaded firearm - as, I would guess, most folks as well. Lissa also brought up another good point, that starting on the 103 type course without having a feel for how the folks at Sig instruct might result in not getting the full benefit of the higher level course.

I'd like to take the 102 course. I'm pretty confident that I have the handgun selection, gear, and cleaning down; but I know I could benefit from instruction on my shooting form. I'm not too proud to admit that I might benefit from some guidance on shooting positions, too - everything I've learned has been self-taught, mostly through trial and error along the way. And lastly, I know for certain I could use more time presenting a loaded firearm, and what better place to develop those skills than at a place like Sig Academy?

Who's interested in the Handgun 102 course? If we've got enough folks interested in the more basic course, perhaps we could run two Northeast Blogger training sessions. I still want to take the Handgun 103 course after; possibly later this summer. Unfortunately, the next two months are booked solid - Sundays are out through mid-April (CCD); March and April are Scout-intensive months and April is just booked solid. May opens up a little, perhaps 102 sometime in May and then 103 in August or September?

Let me know who's interested - 102 and/or 103 - and we'll start pulling something together!

That is all.

16 comments:

JD said...

Am all up for the 102 course, think I could learn a lot on grip, stance and that kind of thing. Then maybe 103 and Concealed class over summer and fall. . . .

North said...

Dude if I were there I'd SO be there.

Have fun (without me)!

Andrew said...

I'll pass, but only because I already took that class a few years ago. Really, REALLY good instruction.

libertyman said...

May is perfect here. I am in, and points well taken.

Anonymous said...

In for 102.

Irish said...

JAy I'm in for 102 as well.

JD said...

May sounds good, but we better book soon. . .

Butch Cassidy said...

If my tax return is decent, I would love to attend. 102, that is.

Butch Cassidy said...

Edit: Does anybody know if this class would cover the training requirement for a Maine non-resident CCP application?

Anonymous said...

Def count the Mrs and me in on 103. While I'm sure I could take away something from the 102 class, I'm not sure I would learn enough to offset the cost. Figure $200 for class, $100 or more for ammo, and times those by 2 for Cher and I. Add in $100+ for gas and tolls, and 1 or probably 2 nights in a hotel, plus food/beer and I'm looking at a grand. That's a lot considering most of it is stuff we're supposed to be teaching others already as Basic Pistol instructors.

Anonymous said...

Of course, if the 102 is a required prerequisite to 103 I'd have to bite the bullet, so to speak.

zeeke42 said...

I haven't trained at SIG, but based on the course descriptions and my training experience, if you haven't had any instruction in drawing from a holster, 102 is the place to start.

Keystone said...

I might be game for 102, depending on fundage (house shopping, at the moment...my days of spending money might be behind me) and timing.

I know their 101 class provides firearms, I think 102, and maybe 103 do, as well, if you so desire.

Anonymous said...

29 May is best, 1 May is "OK".

rich said...

I'm up for the 102 course in May. I'm not a blogger but I do read blogs. So I'm hoping that's close enough.

JD said...

OK, where are we at on this one?