Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Breathtaking...

One of my favorite exhibits at the NRA convention was the wall 'o' Smith & Wesson .357 Magnums. Sure, the Colt Python is pretty damn nice (okay OldNFO?), but I have to say that the Registered Magnum gives the prancin' pony a good run for the money.

Here's a few thousand words in support of my argument:

Small

Medium

Large

(Yeah, I know, the "small" is a 3½" barrel and the "medium" is 4". I thought I had 4/6/8, but upon review, well...)

They sure don't make 'em like this any more. 'Tis a pity, to be sure - that bluing is nothing short of one of the seven marvels of the modern world right there. I've got a Model 27 - what the Registered Magnum would become once S&W started using model numbers - with the full target rig, and it is an unmitigated joy to shoot. When I bought it, the gentleman I bought it from apologized - he felt it was in rough shape! It was perfect to me - it's still gorgeous - because it had just enough wear and character that I don't feel the least bit apprehensive about shooting it.

And as for shootability, well, I'm no expert, but even I can ring a steel gong at 100 yards with that pistol...

That is all.

3 comments:

libertyman said...

Have you shot the 586 or 686? I had one of my best groups with a friend's 586. Nice gun.

Guffaw in AZ said...

I had a pre-27, 5"
Incredible blue.
(Of course, it was in the vault when they took it)

Always bolt your safe into the concrete, even if it weighs 700# empty!

Wilson said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Just love me some S&W N frames, I’ve got a whole blog to prove it! You’re right, that old Smith & Wesson blue is an art form to itself and will never be duplicated.